What will your set-up with TextBlade look like?

Here’s my setup. I wanted a portable solution that would enable me to use the TextBlade on my lap with my phone (or even an iPad) but that would fold up into something not much bigger than the TextBlade itself.

It’s constructed from A4 and A5 plastic sheets – 1mm HIPS sheet for the outside layers and 0.5 mm poly for the inner layer that holds the steel blade from the TextBlade packaging. I printed out the pattern then cut it out with a scalpel and steel rule. Glued as a three-layer sandwich with evostick contact adhesive.

Amazingly it actually works. I use the TextBlade on it all the time – even when it’s on my desk because it means I can pick it up, move it around, and the TextBlade key blades stay firmly connected to the space blade.

17 Likes

Outstanding!!! Just really well done!
Want to post the plans? or patent them?

I sometimes stand my iPad mini up in landscape using my 12South Surface Pad. The TextBlade magnets then grab the metal and magnets in the cover and they hold on tight. (I do have to be careful to let the near edge of the SpaceBlade hang over the front edge of the cover or the magnets may pull the top face of the SpaceBlade down into closed position.)

The problem I have with this arrangement is I apparently have weak adductor muscles: it’s a tiring strain to keep my knees together to keep the arrangement from falling.

And… I’ve always wondered whether it’s easier for women to keep their knees together (because of the different pelvic angles) or whether they’ve strengthened the muscles from a lifetime of the confluence of skirts and males. Any MD’s or PT’s know? And I apologize if this curiosity crossed a line.

The point is, I wonder if the limbs of the Lap-Blade could be a few inches longer.

No way. Very clever solution.

How much time does it take to assemble/disassemble?

Brilliant! Well done!

Looks really good. Someday :tm: I’d like one of those, too!

So after a few years, my poor man’s TB https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Foldable-Bluetooth-Keyboard-44652RD/dp/B00DWMPMFG has stopped working. I thought it would hold me over until my TB was shipped, but, alas, 2.5 years later here we are.

Anyone have a suggestion of something shipping that would work for a while? I figure it will have to work at least another year until TB ships (pending the manufacturer updating its customers, of course).

Absolutely minimalist. I’m envious of the setup.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. @Ludvig just timed assembly and it takes about 20 seconds or so to unpack and slide all the blades into place. @LexBaer like your thinking. – WayTools, if you’re watching, how about we go mass market with this so I can retire on the royalties :wink:?

Would love to see other people’s setups if you’d like to share. I get a sense from TREG (no hard evidence, just my gut feeling) that WayTools really are on the final short straight to general release. “Soon” has been overused but it does feel that way. Fingers crossed.

4 Likes

@LexBaer I originally had the limbs of the blade shorter so that there was no overhang left and right. Then I lengthened them so that each blade is the length of the spaceblade (that way the LapBlade case is same length as TextbBlade case – just for symmetry. Nothing to stop the blades being longer still, or deeper. For me, this length (blades names length as TextBlades) is just wide enough.

3 Likes

Leaving outh the part holding the device so you only have the desk for the textblade, I see two possible issues. The length across you lap is quite similar to a thin board I’ve used and, while it works, I’d get more stability as I type if it was longer.

The other is about the depth. My board is almost twice as deep yet stability seems even a bigger deal in that direction.

I don’t mean the board falls off or something, but the act of typing on something that small causes “bouncing” of the desk every time you hit it.

Using my roughly 9x12 inch plexiglass sheet provides good stability. In fact, it also lets me rest my wrists on desk which probably makes it even more stable.

I can’t tell from your picture if the part that holds the tablet would also increase stability in the depth or not.

But it is a brilliant idea for many situations. I have sometimes wondered about creating something that would have rigid strips slide out to give more stability. Wouldn’t have to be real long to do that.

@dabigkahuna it works much better with a phone than tablet. The iPad uses the apple case as a stand. It stands up on my legs but never feels that stable. With the phone it is much more stable. Works great if legs are flat on floor or lying in bed etc. This setup is a go anywhere minimalist setup with obvious compromises. I does work very well in my car, with iPad resting on steering wheel and platform on lap.
What I really want is something that folds this small with the rigidity and stability of something like the Microsoft universal keyboard…

2 Likes

How about something like a set of small shutters that spread while connected. Something like folding cups do.
Like a set of connected venetian blinds that accordian down to the size of the spaceblade.
I’ll let the engineers figure this one out. I’m too clumsy to prototype.

Not sure if I follow the concept completely, but it seems to me that anything like that would have to deal with rigidity needs. It it could flex while typing, it may be usable, but it will definitely affect your typing ability.

non stop for me… Was using all morning at work…

3 Likes

I will be using this solid black keyboard cover (with or without Karabiner).

2 Likes

This is really amazing! You should seriously look into either a patent or at least marketing it. Get going as soon as possible before TB is actually released. You could really cash in on the early momentum TB will have at release. I’d buy one!

Thanks Ken, remember where you saw it first!

Kickstart it!

That way we can guarantee to get at least a Chinese copy within a few days

What? Kickstart has become the china ideas provider?

Hi all
I just supported CozyTap https://igg.me/at/cozy/emal/5333607 on IndieGoGo. It’s a little mirror/periscope that hangs over the webcam on a laptop and zeros in on hand gestures. The software then recognizes the hand gestures and converts them into multi-touch control. For example, tucking your thumb activates cursor movement, rubbing index finger on thumb controls zoom in or out, rubbing 2nd finger on thumb controls scrolling. Normal support fee is $34; today only it’s $19. So far it only works on laptops, but I’m still dreaming of a tablet, a TextBlade, and waving my fingers at a little above the keys - without moving my hands! Call me a dreamer, sigh.

1 Like