What will your set-up with TextBlade look like?

The most notable advantage of the merino wool is its ability to manage ;arg temperature swings well. I can go from indoor to outdoor in fairly cool winter conditions (15-20deg F) or vice versa, without feeling overly warm inside, or terribly cold (so long as i keep moving) outside. It is as versatile as it is durable, incredible stuff, great cool weather activewear (thanks for the fibers sheep).

I made a chalkboard area on the wall of one of my kids rooms and the TB sticks really well to it, so you know you are good up to 90 degrees at least. I am fairly certain it would even work inverted, this is an awesome suggestion, I am already getting some ideas for a project. Well done @brotherlea!

1 Like

Astronauts should use TB to interface with all their onboard builtin and portable systems! :rocket:

2 Likes

There are a number of ways that I run my TextBlade when I am out and about for meetings and support, but this is what I always come back to.

Under the center monitor lives my iPad Mini (Cause I likes to travel light) and a tin lid as stand in for my iPhone (someone had to take the picture :yum: ). Say what you will about the standing desk, but I love it. I am called away from my desk with some regularity to provide support or collaborate with a team member, so I figured, why not just stay up? And now people can no longer say that I sit around all day (gag roll).

No more than 72 hours after setting the thing up, I got this little gem from my wife while I was at work.

Love you too dear!

I will try to have some shots of my mobile setups (iPad or Laptop or BOTH) posted sometime early next week.

7 Likes

Beautiful setup!

For bulk text do you use the Nuance or Textblade more?

1 Like

As much as I enjoy Dragon, I find myself using the TextBlade far more. Using dictation has become a much more “if it’s already on” proposition. It’s most useful when the required vocabulary is primarily clinical in nature.

But, the real reason the TB wins out is navigation. There are two shift layers for nav. One for text, and the other for apps. Being able to jump between apps on my laptop, and then hop right onto my iPad and open an app without touching my mouse or a screen is as revelatory as it is habit forming.

3 Likes

How do you switch apps on iOS using the Textblade?

1 Like

There are app switching commands on each platform (like alt-tab on Windows), so the same gesture is mapped to the correct commands for switching apps depending on the jump / OS you are using.

WayTools already did that mapping for us, so since the map is tied to the jump slot we can use a common interaction with all of them.

2 Likes

Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t see any way to change apps in iOS. I can do it on the Mac.

So command-tab on a textblade will work to switch apps on both Mac and iOS?

1 Like

I have found that iOS keyboard shortcuts do not seem to be well documented. One of the best lists I have come across is at https://9to5mac.com/2015/11/20/ipad-keyboard-shortcuts-cheat-sheet/ but as this list was for iOS 9 there may well be new iOS 10 specific ones.

1 Like

You can do command-tab on the Mac to go to the next app - or you can use the special App layer system - or you can create your own layout using the special Next (or previous) app commands where you want them.

But I still can’t see a way to do it on iOS with my iPhone.

Ah, it works with iPad - with command-tab, command/shift-tab, or the special WT approach. I mostly only use my ipad in bed so I don’t get into these keyboard things unless I make it a special point!

2 Likes

I expect Apple to eventually bring cmd-tab to iPhones. I have accessibility enabled so I have a multitaskibg button always on hand, specially handy when using only my iPhone as work machine (SSH to an Amazon instance and the lightning-HDMI cable give me kind of enough mileage for a day of work usually… paired with either an Apple bluetooth keyboard or the MoKo folding keyboard, because, sure, still no TextBlade here)

just briefly looking at the ipad stuff - I gather when you bring up the apps, it just shows the 5 most recent plus the home screen to choose from?

1 Like

Heavens, look what I have started!
(an awesome discussion)

When it comes to text entry and UX there are a great many things, subtle nuanced things, that I had never considered, until my first conversation with Mark.

While using the TextBlade there are so many little things that so clearly indicate tremendous insight and forethought, these are the things that made me passionate about the TextBlade from day one.

(Philosophical protraction warning)

One of the more constant and frustrating principles when it comes to digital adoption is this. When you’re introduced to the new, your ability to appreciate the complexity of the marvel that you are witnessing will likely be off by an order of magnitude or two.

Now to my mind, there are two kinds of tech companies out there, those that understand this principle and those that embrace it. The latter are typically far more successful.

I can’t pretend to know how difficult a line it is to walk, but the way that the @waytools team has managed to unflinchingly engage multiple, monumental technological challenges without losing sight of what defines an exceptional end user experience, is both remarkable and much appreciated.

3 Likes

Great question DBK. For (iPad)iOS, when you press the media cord with your left hand and hold the space blade for the green shift layer and hit the comma key with your right, it brings up your five most recent apps and a search field. Just like with spotlight on your Mac, you just start typing until you see the desired selection at the top of the search results, then you just hit enter and the app opens. Your fingers never leave the keyboard.

1 Like

Ahh, I was only looking at it on the iPad. It works on my Android phone and Windows computers, so I figured it worked on iPhone as well.

Now that I see how it just takes the last 5 apps, I can see how it could work similarly on the iPhone (but doesn’t). Before seeing the iPad method, I was thinking how impractical it would be to possibly cycle through dozens of apps that were never completely removed from the dock!

DBK, you mention that on iOS you can switch apps a number of different ways. One of those ways is “the special WT approach”.

I have several questions about this:

1. What exactly is the key combination that comprises “the special WT approach”? Or is that one of the mystery NDA must not reveal for patent reasons things?

2. Does “the special WT approach” work identically for Mac, iPad, and iPhone? I.e. if I use this exact same key combination, will I get the same behavior on all devices?

3. Is there any difference in functionality between this and [command]-tab? Why would one use one over the other?