What does a $9 computer look like? #IoT

Theoretically this should work beautifully with a TextBlade someday…

http://getchip.com/

http://docs.getchip.com/

$109

Well, Adafruit has keyboard+touchpad gadgets in the $50 range.

Doge QC. “Such pass.”

http://www.element14.com/community/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/38-21662-231923/15+-+4.jpg

Got PocketChip this weekend. Very nice for $50 – touch screen, wifi, bluetooth, battery powered pocket-sized Linux on the go. Just begging for a TextBlade to go with it.

For $9 you get Chip board with wifi, bluetooth, LiPo battery charger and 4 GB storage. Very impressive for IoT and general hackery

May I ask where you got this from, or did you just order before the official website started shipping in July? The description reads like a preorder to me, though I’m probably wrong given your statement.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. Glad to hear you’re happy with your purchase! I think I’m going to pick one up myself.

What’s that plane in behind you on Page 2?

That’s Cessna Cardinal N19762, owned by the Boyertown Flying Club. I’ve been a member since 1989 or so.

2 Likes

Wow, I’d never seen/heard of a Cardinal before. Just not all that common in small Canadian flying clubs, I guess, which is where I learned to fly. Really good looking airplane; I love that they managed to get rid of the wing struts. How do you visually inspect the fuel tanks and top of the wing with no strut? Just use a step stool?

I really miss flying; it’s one regret that I have since moving to Tokyo. Have to keep content with X-Plane for now.

Yes, we keep two small step stools in the hangar, and a folding portable one in the cargo compartment

The Cardinal is pretty much a cult airplane; in the mid-1970’s Cessna hoped it would replace the Skyhawk, but the beancounters bought a warehouse full of 150hp engines before the design was flown, to only discover that it really needed a 180 hp engine. The A-model was severely underpowered, and had a nasty tendency towards stabilator stalls in the landing flare. The -B has a 180 hp engine, a controllable-speed prop, and a slotted stabilator; this solved the major design flaws but the reputation of the type was damaged.

The struts were eliminated by using the same airfoil as the strutless Centurion wing in a cantilever design, but unfortunately this did not deliver the same performance when scaled down to a 4-place airplane…hence the need for more power than the original design called for.

It really is a lovely airplane; the raked windshield and forward-placed pilot’s seats provide excellent visibility (although a more forward center of gravity than one might like), and the wider body and doors than a Skyhawk are serious comfort items.

1 Like

Next time somebody’s bemoaning the lack of positive commentary here, they can think about the gratuitous spam flagging on this thread.

1 Like

Just curious - how do we see the spam flagging?

E: Ah, do you mean the ones that are hidden? Happened after I read them. :frowning:

FWIW - I’ve so far thought this was a great thread. Really enjoyed reading what you wrote.

1 Like

Me too. I love these little utility linux machines that are popping up all over the place. Sure beats the old way of writing assembly language for PIC microcontrollers then custom-designing circuits for them.

1 Like

Yes Maggie, there is a TextBlade. It exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! How dreary would be the world if there were no TextBlade. It would be as dreary as if there were no Maggies.

:wink:

James

2 Likes

Love, devotion, generosity and I exist; I experience them all every day.

“TextBlade” does not exist as a product…there are only prototypes and test articles built to self-destruct.

1 Like

I hope you remember everything you have posted here so that you can put it all in perspective once you reorder and receive your TextBlade. That is all I have to say.

1 Like

Oh Maggie, I know you laughed at that! Just trying to bring some humour into things.

Makes me feel like a Mission Impossible agent…

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to test the TextBlade and provide feedback in the approach to general release.

This TextBlade will self destruct in 5…4…3…

:wink:

1 Like

We’ll see if I still care enough to reorder when and if the product is ever finished.

If the TREG prototypes don’t get a blessing from the mothership on a regular basis, they brick. That’s what we’re told, anyway.