We need a Microstand

That’s the thicker and heavier original iPad Air 9.7 shown in the frame above.

It’s the worst-case mass load, and the newer ones are lighter and thinner, so they’re actually easier to support in landscape mode.

All iPad Airs can work in the NanoStand, but you need to install a rubber pad for the thinner ones. It"s an adhesive-backed label, so you just peel and stick on.

DBK’s TREG unit doesn’t have that pad yet, but they do come standard with the general release.

Based on your iPad Air version, you can configure it with the rubber pad to suit your use case.

3 Likes

I believe that @dabigkahuna has the 12.9 inch iPad Pro. I ripped mine from out of it’s Gumdrop case to demonstrate that, well, yes, it ‘can’ work, but even with my fix, it’s iffy. Due to its size and weight, the Pro may be mobile, but not, as I perceive it, portable. I didn’t try a standard-sized iPad oriented vertically, hurrying to post these photos. Both NanoStands are augmented by one Sharpie each, and you can still see that the stands no longer cling to the countertop.

1 Like

Brotherlea is very handy with those sharpies!

We have a couple of unannounced accessories coming that address iPad Pro and some other use cases.

8 Likes

Given that the iPad Air 2 is 32 grams lighter than the air and the 9.7 pro is exactly the same weight (437g) and size shouldn’t it work with the pro?

Whoops–I thought that you had the first Pro and then acquired a smaller Pro. Quite some time ago I posted a flippant comment about jamming a couple of pencils into a NanoStand; wanted to prove my claim…

Any idea how soon you are likely to be able to give out more news on these? I have an iPad Pro so am very interested in that particular use case,

4 Likes

To clarify the wish expressed in the OP I’d like to see the existing stand design extended the full length of the stowed TextBlade and appropriately stronger.

To be fair, the existing design is like a lot of the
Textblade, ie the absolute minimum physical size that still does a good job of it’s intended purpose.

A quick test with a heavy old iPad 2 with wedge of paper folded 16x to give it a more upright posture shows the existing stand will hold it up ok. In this state it can even withstand light taps to the upper screen - bit of a wobble but without keeling over backwards.

It works but its not secure enough to call it a reccomended use.

If I were frequently using a tablet in portrait like this I would be tempted to put some little rubber bumpers on the corners of the tablet to limit the pitching left / right.

Using a normal size tablet in portrait is appealing also because it raises the eyeline.

1 Like

Beautiful work.

And, obviously, many of us have a smart case or cover that would support the iPad for TB use without the need of Nano stands. That said – I’d love a way to use an iPad or iPhone on my lap! :wink:

2 Likes

Oops, I just tried it again and it will BARELY work - it wobbles so any bump would knock it over. And it must use the narrower stand so it tilts slightly less. Even using one of each, it will fall over unless the narrow one is near the middle. I do have the 9.7 one.

I thought of a problem with that. To cover the whose thing AND protect both ends, you wouldn’t have an easy way to pull it off. They are already tight so longer will create even more friction even if you had a way to grip it to pull it apart.

Need not be a problem. Keep the existing taper plus stop little short of the end, should leave plenty to grab on to.

Mold / press the shape so there is some relief at the extension and the friction fit remains the same.

That would still leave the problem of one end having no protection. Maybe a solution would be one longer one and one shorter one if a shorter one could still handle an iPhone 6 plus or larger Samsung phone in portrait position without tipping over, then the longer one could be that much longer. Or maybe a design where the base extends further out on only one half of the base so, when two stands are attached, both can actually be longer than now but they slide together with long sides opposite each other.

I’m actually not concerned about the protection. I did order 2 stands and that was equal parts protection and covering off the size options but since I’ve had the TB in hand I not so bothered about the extra protection.

A little more cover from the longer stand is no bad thing but my interest is portrait mode with more than just phones.

Think more three dimensionally. The TextBlade is a well-crafted self-assembling gadget, so its stand can collapse to shield and protect the blade stack, as well as open to create a large footprint when functioning as a stand. I’m no mechanical engineer, but fan out several stand components to create a sort of ‘duck foot’ (…why a duck?) or an articulated slot that clamps onto and grips a device placed into it, with clamping force a function of the device’s weight. We understand that smart phones are the intended mobile device, but phablets and tablets require a bit more engineering.

2 Likes

Disappointing to hear about the iPad pro 9.7", and I assume similar iPads.

As a consolation prize The Onker stands are super cheap, light weight, portable, and seem to hold just about anything (sometimes with a bit of care when setting it).

At Amazon you can get six of them for $3.62. http://amzn.com/B00EBNDOIC

(Edit … when I ordered them in May they were Onker, now it seems they are Ectown. LOL same stand).

1 Like

Since I can’t post new topics … I’m going to latch on here… My suggestion is for WT to release 3d files for both stands so customers can print and decide which size they need. Possibly also allow customers to innovate the stand for other devices to meet your needs.

2 Likes

Fire up your 3D printer.

Are there files? I haven’t seen them?

Here is a little stand I picked up at Office Depot. The two vertical sections fold together and then both pivot down into the base for a small package. It has two positions but I saw someone comment on Amazon that that one once had one position. Only question for me is whether or not the part that locks the position holds up over time.

I’ll gave to double check, but I think the $9.99 price is much more than I paid locally in Hawaii!

Works on all my devices, with or without cases, from iPhone 6s, to iPad mini to the new 9.7 inch iPad pro in portrait and landscape.

Plenty of pictures at the link:

http://www.amazon.com/CrowleyJones-SmartStand-II-Retail-Packaging/dp/B00KB4SQFG/ref=pd_sim_107_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=31nPHsKPPYL&dpSrc=sims&preST=AC_UL320_SR214%2C320&refRID=02M40QBHNMGHWBN2KD8H