Typing speed comparisons

To get a feel for how my typing speed would be affected by the Textblade, I decided to do some typing speed comparisons with other input devices. All of the non-textblade tests were done before getting my Textblade. I don’t claim to be a terribly fast typist, but I don’t just sit down and type 1000s of words at a time either. As a programmer, I’m usually typing in short bursts and even that isn’t all letters, but numbers and symbols too. So, while there are many others on this forum that can easily type circles around me, this is a comparison of my typing before and after receiving my Textblade to see how quickly I could get back to my own speed.

These typing comparisons were done using keybr.com. The default settings take you through all 26 letters one at a time until it feels you are proficient at each of them. It then goes into a practice mode where you aren’t working on any specific key, indicated by a “no key” status. The “samples” are how many sets of test data were used to get to the end. The very first sample starts with 6 characters, so it’s possible to get to “no key” with only 21 samples.

Here are my non-Textblade results (averages of three attempts):

Keyboard on my 15" 2013 MBP, Colemak:
Time to get to “no key”: 7:15
Total samples: 24
Top speed: 70
Average speed: 55

Daskeyboard with cherry mx switches, Colemak:
Time to get to “no key”: 7:15
Total samples: 24
Top speed: 68
Average speed: 54

iPhone X (thumbs on the glass), Qwerty:
Time to get to “no key”: 21:20
Total samples: 48
Top speed: 46
Average speed: 38

iPad Pro (fingers on the glass), Qwerty:
Time to get to “no key”: 7:27
Total samples: 21
Top speed: 58
Average speed: 47

Here are my Textblade results (all using Colemak):

12/13 (the day I got my Textblade):
Time to get to “no key”: 13:19
Total samples: 33
Top speed: 59
Average speed: 42

1/11:
Time to get to “no key”: 7:43
Total samples: 23
Top speed: 64
Average speed: 50

2/6:
Time to get to “no key”: 7:20
Total samples: 23
Top speed: 68
Average speed: 52

So, my first take away from this is when I first got my Textblade, I was obviously horrible at typing on it (compared to a traditional keyboard). I was faster with the Textblade compared to typing with my thumbs on my iPhone, which should be a given, but it proves that the Textblade is fulfilling its original use case. That original use case being a super portable keyboard providing faster input to mobile devices that builds on existing muscle memory of typing on a traditional keyboard.

My second take away is that after only a month, I was typing at about 91% of my pre-Textblade speed. If you take into account that first month was filled with holidays and a Textblade that wouldn’t pair with my Mac, I probably only typed on it two of those four weeks. I’d say it’s pretty easy to get used to typing on a Textblade.

This last month, I’ve gotten marginally faster, but not like the leap from my initial attempt. I can tell that I’m making far less typos, though, so I think the reason I haven’t gotten much faster is that I’ve started trying to figure out all the things I can to with just the Textblade. I think I’ve unintentionally overwhelmed my learning ability by trying to remember too much at once.

I still feel I’m firmly in a transitional period, but I’m constantly honing my muscle memory. I feel like even if I didn’t get much faster, the amount of things I can do with very little effort far out weighs any other input device. And as others on the forums have said, the beauty of the Textblade is that it’s the same exact input device for all my computers/mobile devices, so whatever muscle memory I have doesn’t change just because I’m using a different computer.

So, call me a fanboy if you want, but I love my Textblade and I don’t foresee changing to any other keyboard or input device until they come out with some sort of neural interface. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Any stats on accuracy percentages?

Looks like your early experience was like mine with getting decent speed the first day. At least enough to tell it would work out.