Treggers - Has it replaced your keyboards completely?

I’m in group 1 as well but agree with @GeorgeW that “changed my life” is a bit strong wording.

The TB is my keyboard of choice and use it at work, home and away with PCs, Macs and IOS devices.

I’m in Group 1.

• Replaced all my keyboards.
  • No inclination whatsoever to use anything but TextBlade.
    • I used to look at new keyboards as they were announced.
    • Barring RSI or other issues, I intend to invest zero seconds looking at any other keyboards.
    • The sheer amount of effort to surpass TextBlade? We’ll have Level 5 autonomy self-driving cars, room-temperature superconductors, cold fusion, and IronMan suits, before anything catches up to a TextBlade.
    • Going back to a traditional keyboard would feel like death by a thousand cuts. All that extra motion, and leaving home-row??? How quaint!
  • Redefined “mobile computing” for me.
    • As a die-hard Mac fan, I never expected myself to think “the Surface 4 is really, really tempting!”
    • I will never again be satisfied with a MacBook that has a built-in keyboard.
    • Eagerly waiting for macOS on a future iPad Pro.
5 Likes

Yeah, while I expect most of my computing will still be on my Mac - some things are just better with a mouse and very large screen, not to mention LOTS of windows all completely visible!

Of course, if I could hook up an ipad to a large screen and see the windows as if I was on a Mac, that would be great.

It is going to be interesting to see how the merging of Mac and iOS goes over the next few years. I hope change the the Mac to much into what iOS stuff does (though there may be some nice iOS apps that will be nice to have on a Mac).

I am in camp #1. I do continue to use my mouse for some things but my mouse is a Swiftpoint GT that sits an inch below my TextBlade so my wrist shifts less than an inch to use it and I rotate my hand 45’ to use it which makes it a much smaller reduction in efficiency as I can get back to the TB very quickly.

I even made the decision to change my 2nd TB order I made August 1, 2015 (First order was Jan 13, 2015) to Colemak. Even with a poor typing style that has been greatly improved using the TB over these past couple years, I still want to improve and I believe with the opportunity that Colemak provides, I can take my 47 year old self and teach an old dog new tricks.

1 Like

Hey, sorry I didn’t reply to this earlier — it’s marking season here and I’m up to my ears.

My reply is closer to number 1 than to number 2. It’s the best keyboard I’ve ever used and I love using it. But for many things that I do on my MacBookPro, the way that I’ve learned to use the keyboard + touchpad in tandem is too hard to replicate even with a stand-alone touchpad, which I hate carrying around anyway.

BUT … probably because of the TextBlades, I now prefer to write my books and articles on the iPad than on the MacBook. This is even more significant than it sounds because Scrivener, my main word processor, lacks features I like in the mobile version, and because I love having all my Mac typefaces at my disposal. TextBlades trump that stuff, as it should especially for first-draft, get-anything-down, writing.

So yeah, very close to replacing all the keyboards I used to use, and definitely would never want to be without it. I’m interested in Hiser’s solution (above) of putting the 'Blades on top of the MacBook keyboard and still using the Mac keyboard for those “hot keys” and combinations that are muscle memory. If I can soften my touch so that my hitting the TextBlade doesn’t press any underlying keys, that might work well.

2 Likes

Great info re: Scrivener!

As I mentioned above, have a look at getting a keyboard cover. It stiffens up the lappy’s keyboard enough that you don’t get press-through to other keys, but still leaves the keyboard … well, as usable as such a keyboard is gonna be :wink:

Another fine example of scope creep caused by TREG.

Please do General Release with the old code fork and don’t wait until 2021 for General Release with the new code fork.

1 Like

Scope creep by developers and front line management is the normal kind of scope creep that is to be avoided.

Scope creep by upper management can be an informed pivot. (And frontline scope creep requests could be pushed up to be blessed as a worthwhile business decision… or not)

The difference is that all the considerations relating to slipping the schedule can be traded off (at least in principle). I’m sure WayTools is painfully aware of the impact of their choices regarding the scope creep.

I’m not so happy about that decision as well (not shipping the old firmware). From my perspective, it was the wrong one. However, they made a business decision with their money behind it (and way more info than I have). Hopefully, it will be the right decision for them.

I do feel like they are selling a different product than the one that was originally offered They didn’t like me calling what I thought I was buying clunky, but at the time, they acknowledged that it was a first release and it seemed at that first product party that people’s reactions were that it had more promise than delivery. I bought it in April, so thought I was sort of buying into the first release beta test program. As everyone else not in the TREG, I’m bummed that I’m not.

However, I’m still eagerly waiting for the general release and hope your GR prediction is at least a couple of months pessimistic.

@waytools If you take one of your models from the March 2015 event and switch it with your current model for an hour, I’d really like to know how you would describe the earlier model.

2 Likes

@ephij

I haven’t spent much time looking at the forum for ages. Was checking in today and saw this thread.

I’m in group 1 without a doubt.

The TextBlade goes everywhere with me. Occasionally I’ve had to type on other keyboards and I truly dislike them in comparison. the TextBlade is a pleasure to type on. I hope that the rest of the world gets to see this for themselves in the near future.

2 Likes

Group 1 definitely. I’ve shed my MacBook Pro and am using solely a Textblade with my iPad Pro, iPhone and Surface 5!

2 Likes

With the announcement that they are embracing formally forking off iOS into PadOS, definitely seems like interesting things will be happening.

Just found this thread, I’m solidly in camp #1. I was lucky enough to be part of the first TREG group and ever since then (minus a two-week hiatus where my TB was freaking out) nearly everything I do is Typed On A TextBlade.

I love it to bits, I carry it everywhere, it’s been on roller coasters and on a sailboat with me (the latter in a baggy).

However, 99% of the time I use it on top of my Mac keyboard. I don’t type much on mobile.

With Karabiner (and presumably that’s possible on Windows too) you can turn off the internal keyboard when the TB is connected. So don’t worry about hitting keys accidentally.

On the older macs, the keyboard was a bit looser and a keyboard cover helped getting better typing speed. On the newer macs, the keyboard is so stiff and shallow that I don’t use a cover, it’s fine just like that. I wonder how the 16" MBP keyboard will fare as a stand for a real keyboard :wink:

5 Likes

Forgot to add, one of the reasons I love the TB so much is that it’s so programmable. I do a lot of programming, which means typing a lot of uncommon symbols, and I simply changed the green home row to have all the symbols I need most often. Being able to type what I think without having to resort to keyboard acrobatics really helps to stay in Zen Mode.

Furthermore, I use the function/media layer (right middle+ring finger combo) for a whole bunch of global hotkeys. I switch to my editor, browser, Finder, source control, music etc that way. I mapped the entire layer to ctrl+cmd+option+shift+[key] and I use QuickSilver to run scripts or toggle applications based on those hotkeys.

And the shortcut I use most often is green-backspace, which I remapped to delete-last-word. Every time I type a mistake, I delete the entire word and try again. That way I practice typing the words I use and in the end it’s much faster than backtracking and correcting.

5 Likes

That is an excellent idea, glad you mentioned it, I will add to my list of things to do when I get my TB. I was talking about the delete last word.

I use the TB with my iPad at work, but use a wired mechanical keyboard with my office PC. Reason is that I do not type all the time (I’m a VP), and it takes several seconds for the TB to wake up or to jump to the PC. I get impatient, especially if I am on the phone and suddenly want to take notes.

If I am typing for a long time, I will push the wired keyboard out of the way and use the TB. I also have programmed the “delete entire word” into the green layer.

I will probably switch to all TB when Waytools introduces a “wired” keyboard - or enables a sleep mode on the TB so it wakes up instantly (it is ok if battery life takes a hit, Mark)

3 Likes

Wmertens and H2Guy - wonderful examples of why we built the new firmware infrastructure codebase. Those emergent needs could only be understood through long term use by treg customers.

The new release addresses all those, and more. It supports wired mode, always-on, longer battery life, and dramatically increased freedom for customization and mapping.

This required much work to build the new code infrastructure, but fully generalizing TextBlade’s capabilities is essential to accommodate the diverse requests from the mass audience. These requests are the organic, natural and inevitable response once they realize what’s now possible.

The new infrastructure code release is fundamental foundation to support this. It works like rocket fuel for rapid mass adoption in general release.

8 Likes

This ^^^^^^
Yes, please.

For the fortunate phase 1 treggers, how’s battery life holding up?

I just posted about this the other day, using my newest unit which is either just over 2 or just over 3 years old.

At 5% power, I had 30 hours there it was “on”.

Details at: Another NaNoWriMo! (National Novel Writing Month)