TREG Impressions From uniquenospacesshort

LOL! That is probably the best comparison I’ve seen and it fits my feeling after using the TB and then going back to something else!

Other than the special case where someone needs something that works on a non-flat or a soft surface, the only thing I’ve ever run into that is consistently more difficult on a TB is when doing something “casually”. That is, something where I’m not actually having the TB set up in typing position, but rather something where I’m going to reach out and have reason to hit a short series of keys for some reason.

The problem is when something is on the green layer (numbers and most symbols). I have a habit from traditional keyboards where I’ll try to use one hand to do this rather than get myself in a normal typing position and I’ll use one hand. But doing this with the TextBlade would require some significant stretching with one hand and the finger angle changes a lot based on what you are reaching for. So, since it doesn’t have totally separate keys, it can be easier to reach for a key, but have your finger register a character on the same key, but not what you want. Especially since I tend to be impatient rather than taking my time in that odd situation.

For those who may object to not being able to use the TextBlade on your lap unless you also can lay it on a solid platform, they might want to think about how other keyboards do it:

1. They are much bigger - which will give you a broader support on your lap.

2. They are thicker - which gives more rigidity.

3. They are much heavier, because of item 1 and 2 and other things.

So, while this is certainly a “weakness” of the TB, it is a simple matter to duplicate the ability of those other keyboards - simply carry an item that is solid and you can place the TB on it (I used a plexiglass sign and set it up with a thin piece of steel in the sign area so the TB would “stick” where I put it). That is fairly large, of course. But mostly only in depth. The length is essentially the same as the standard Apple wireless keyboard. The thickness is much less. So if someone is more creative, they could make a board that fits the exact dimensions of the Apple keyboard (like a piece of thin plywood - though you might need to be handy with tools to get a piece of thin steel embedded if you need that stability).

The result would be something thinner, but otherwise the same size as the Apple keyboard or even less depending on taste. And also much lighter. Sure, some may say that “board” makes things less portable. True. But it would be as portable as most other options. I could even see a way you could create a folding board to make it more portable (though I don’t have the engineering knowledge to know how to unfold it and have it be rigid enough to make for solid typing).

Dbk - Something pretty cool is in the kitchen for that use case.

Btw, your one-handed typing scenario gives us an idea for a great feature to add after gr.

A lot of neat things ahead when your keyboard is made of silicon cores, instead of switches.

4 Likes

I second @dabigkahuna and appreciate that @waytools may look into this improvement after GR.

It is common for me to have one hand on the mouse when I also need to type in a series of numbers, maybe 5-6 digits worth. This could happen on a spreadsheet, but it also happens when adding zip codes or CPT medical coding. Unfortunately, some of the programs I use don’t allow navigation by keyboard in an effective way, so the hand goes naturally to the mouse to navigate and the left hand stays on the TB.

However, getting to the green layer for those 5-6 digits and getting them in accurate mostly depends on those digits being a lower number (less reach) for the left hand which remains on the TB. When I start reaching for the higher numbers on the right blade, I often hit the wrong one. More commonly, my left thumb and hand roll over to reach that high digit, which often means the Spaceblade stops registering that I’m on the green layer (I suspect because my thumbnail lands on the Spaceblade rather than the skin on the palmar side as I roll over far enough to reach a number like “9”) and I get a letter instead of a number…or even if I manage to keep the green layer activated, I may just miss and hit the wrong number.

For those of you who haven’t typed on the TB yet, the TB is still better than a legacy keyboard for typing these numbers one handed when trying to use the top row simply because the reach seems to be far less, but I’m excited that @waytools might have a better way to efficiently complete this process.

1 Like

We are creatures of habit. Even though I could greatly minimize this problem by using the number pad lock (which I have customized to have both the number pad but also the numbers in their regular spots but not need the green layer), I typically just don’t bother even if everything I’ll be typing is a quick set of numbers. Just like when editing, I pretty much always move left or right by character rather than by word.

Have you customised the number pad at all?
You could save the second row on the left blade to be numbers 6 through 0 to mimic the right side if left hand numbers are a common thing for you.

2 Likes

Interesting. I never thought about putting all the numbers on the left too. I did put all 10 numbers across the top which means I relocated the zero from where WT put it for the number pad. But I can see an advantage to adding your other numbers to the left hand as well.

The issue that still exists is that when the right hand is already on the mouse navigating, there is no way to activate any of these layers AND type 1-10 without having to use the right blade, which then makes your hand leave the mouse each time.

A solution to this will make a number of processes significantly more efficient.

Agreed.

There is a very nice way to do this.

New infrastructure code will give us plenty of room to add this feature via ota after gr.

2 Likes

Rickweisberg - btw -

You probably would also like the new mouse tech we have in the works.

2 Likes

9 Likes

People are definitely going ape$}{!+ crazy over this.

If the mouse supports jumps, I would hope it could be controlled with the TextBlade so that you could simultaneously switch both to another device with a single key stroke.

2 Likes

Awh_tokyo - Definitely.

1 Like

I’m curious. I know USB 3 can be nasty about creating interference, both in the ports and connecting cables. But what about USB-C / Thunderbolt?

After the troubles with usb3, the industry worked to clean up the noise on these ports.

So usb c and thunderbolt have the benefit of that prior experience.

To our knowledge, there aren’t significant reports of rf noise radiation and Bluetooth transceiver desense problems with usb c.

You can try your dongle on your new Mac Mini, plugged straight into the neighboring usb 3 port on the back. Let us know if it works fine or if you see anything that needs checking.

Should be ok. Of course, your mini has Bluetooth 5 built in, so you don’t need the dongle to connect, but it can still accept it.

1 Like

Looking forward to it!

When I place the TB in the nano stand, I place the two key blades facing inward as in your picture, but I have the space blade also facing inward so the bottom is outward. This is the opposite of what you show in this picture. Which is the recommended way to store the TB? I thought I had it right, but now I question it…

I store the TextBlade the same way you do. The reason that I used that image of the TextBlade
because it showed the TextBlade logo and made it pretty clear what the monolith was for people who are not familiar with the underside of the spaceblade.

1 Like

I do the same with the exception that I use 2 stands, one on each end to give full drop protection:-)

2 Likes

I use two as well.