Too Fast For Keys

What would happen if I flicked my finger from one letter or symbol on a key to a different symbol on the same key, so fast that the key didn’t have time to come all the way up, or didn’t come up at all? Would it register that as a new keypress because I changed which zone of the key I was touching? It’s not as much a problem in QWERTY, because I don’t think there are any letter pairs like that (EDIT: Apparently I was wrong–a little actual looking and thinking about it revealed a bunch). In Colemak, however, I’m seeing E -> U or U -> E As in “feud” and “cruel”, Y -> I as in “yikes” and “flying”, S -> C as in “school” and “fiscal”, and so forth. Dvorak and international languages also probably have letter pairs that can be done on the same smart key, possibly without letting that key up for air in between. So what happens if you’re too fast for the keys? Can TextBlade slice through those letter pairs as you slide fingers across the keytops, or does this present a weird little problem of having to slow down, let a finger off the key for a fraction of a second, and then press again?

EDIT: Went back and looked at QWERTY, and holy moly, every key has at least one possible pairing, even the far-right smart key, as illustrated by the simple phrase “Please stop?” ( P, " and ? are all on that rightmost key)

(And @waytools , if this does present a problem, please don’t re-engineer the TextBlade trying to fix it --save that fix for the TextBlade 2, I’ll just retrain myself to type, rather than delaying shipping any further. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: )
Excited for my TextBlade!

1 Like

I would think that dvorak would have less of a problem for that, as it was specifically designed that you try to alternate hands while typing, and that most of the typing is on the home row anyway, which means you would not have to make a vertical jump as often on that layout.

It doesn’t have to be vertical, just a letter pair on the same smart key. And I found these after a quick look at an image of the Dvorak TextBlade on the blog: EJ ([je]st, [ej]ect), UP (And even PUK, as in “[puk]e”), YI, UI (g[ui]le), KI ([ki]ng, [ki]te), RN (as da[rn], He[nr]y), DG (do[dg]e), GH (tou[gh])

I have by no means found them all, but I’ve certainly found enough to be of note.

They say that in their videos the speed is 100+ WPM. So unless someone is gonna type a lot faster than that, then it shouldn’t be something to worry about.

I think there is no key-down detection, only multitouch taps. If true, that means there is no difference between same-key and different-key sequences…

I doubt sliding your finger from one key to another (without releasing the key) will result in a new key press, but I also don’t think that’s going to be a problem. There’s some sort of ridge separating each letter on the same key, so you’d have to release at least a little finger pressure to go from one letter to the next, more so than if it were a smooth surface. I don’t know how far up a key has to be released to count as completing a keystroke, but I suspect it’s the same or less than on an Apple Aluminum keyboard.