The Ideal Mouse WishList

Setting aside any of my preconceptions about what’s practical, my wishlist would be for the spaceblade, when not being pressed, to act as a trackpad that my thumbs or sometimes fingers could make use of when connected to a mouse based computer.

I’d also want the ability to transmit the pointer movements through software when using iOS to remotely control a desktop machine.

2 Likes

Neat idea! I wonder what the power draw implications would be.

Someone from the tech incubator we were once located at (we graduated) once had the ring mouse. It was way way too jittery for real world use. Not surprisingly, the company that produced it stopped.

We discussed that and I think it turned out that it was the mycestro they had.

Any way I believe that there must have been a problem with the ring as it is not on the market.

But I think that its interesting form factor makes it go into this post.

1 Like

You could cheat with resetting the mouse position by picking a corner and mousing toward it a large distance.

I wish the state of consumer computing actually progressed such that we wouldn’t need to hack things via mouse automation. I grew up remembering System 7.1 when AppleScript was great. It would record your actions, and wrote them out in AppleScript - like, if you opened a document and chose a menu action, that’s what the resulting AppleScript would say! Somewhere along the way that broke and those days are sadly gone.

Like several others, my initial thought was a SpaceBlade Trackpad.

As another user posted - the unknown is whether it is possible to determine the intent of typing, Green chord, tracking, and clicking. It might be possible if:

Simple press on lower edge —> space or Green as currently done.
Surfade motion on the TrackBlade —> mouse.
… followed by no finger lift, then press —> click.
Multitouch for secondary-click and 2D scrolling.
… or Edit chord plus surface motion for 2D scrolling. Edit and Select chords plus TrackBlade Press for secondary and tertiary click.
Not sure we need more gestures because you can assign those on TextBlade.
Mash plus surface motion for drag (and Edit/Select chors for secondary/tertiary drag).

Or there could be two levels of click (like a camera’s half-press being focus, and a hard press being the shutter release). Might do more annoyance than good.

A wacky idea came to me: the optical non-ball trackball BlackBerry put on a few models many years back. They had a while glowing ball for most of their phones, but one model they replaced the ball with a flat white square that was (I’m purely guessing) an inverted optical mouse. I never owned a Blackberry so I cannot attest to how well it worked. But it could be made very small, unlike the Magic Trackpad with all its aluminum. Or you could embed one near the thumb resting spots on the SpaceBlade if coupled capacitance isn’t feasible.

The bridge would definitely require extra power. Even more if the mouse uses regular Bluetooth instead of BLE.

Another issue is how the host’s mouse driver would react to the mouse being “proxied.” Generic mouse drivers will probably not care, but specialized drivers might be more picky.

1 Like

I think that there could be other keys on the keyboard mapped to the mouse clicks. That way you get less risk of clicking them by mistake the way you often do with a trackpad below your keyboard.

1 Like

For a All in one solution, a spaceblade with mouse support for me is a great idea.

For example something like that:

[L|S|R| spacebar |MM]

L: Left mouse button
S: Scroll button like the one on thinkpads trackpoint (the blue button)
R: Right mouse button

MM: trackpad area (high dpi).

2 Likes

The idea of the space blade being a trackpad is spectacular. I’d thought of it and discarded it out of hand due to battery concerns.

If it can be done though, there’s now better solution on the table.

-Verxion

For me, a separate mouse as I drag things a lot, which touch pads are poor at one handed. I travel with a very small Capclip mouse http://www2.elecom.co.jp.e.gj.hp.transer.com/products/M-CC1BRBU.html but it does tend to drop Bluetooth connection.

2 Likes

Thanks for linking this mouse. I have never seen it before.

1000000000% onboard @xwolfoverride with making a trackpad extension to the spaceblade. Engenious and wonderfully consolidated. I would think you could also have keys on the textblade swap to trackpad/mouse buttons when the trackpad is engaged so only your right hand would need to move to the space blade and the left hand stays on the left blade where existing keys betcome scroll, and left and right mouse clicks

I have found (for me, anyway) that the dragging functionality is quite easy and simple on a Mac whereas it is a horrific pain on PC. This is as much a function of the size of the trackpad area (large on Mac, often TINY on PC) as it is on the OS software that deals with user input (quite excellent on Mac, merely “adequate” on PC). I don’t mean to get into a holy war on OS here. If you feel contrary to my own experiences, then your opinion on this is EVERY BIT as valid as my own. I don’t hold that my experience invalidates others’ experiences. :slight_smile:

My point here is that your bringing up dragging (say a window going from one monitor to another) functionality points out that vertically at least, the SpaceBlade is smaller even than the “netbook” form factor trackpads (barely bigger than a quarter). So this may temper the usefulness of this solution.

I am of two minds here:

1. Waytools seems to want to provide BEST IN CLASS solutions, which from all reports, the TextBlade is, at least once you get used to it.

2. The best camera is the camera you have with you. The smartphone era has caused many a photographer to re-think carrying a DSLR with them everywhere. To be sure - as good as the smartphone has gotten, a quality DSLR (especially when it comes to telephoto photography) still beats a smartphone. But the smartphone has exceeded the “good enough” bar for so many use cases, that it has largely supplanted the DSLR entirely for the general consumer. Wouldn’t a “good enough” mouse built into a TextBlade be of significant benefit to their users? In addition, at least speaking for myself, the track pad on the device itself (assuming a laptop here) is still available if you need more surface area than the SpaceBlade provides…

These are the kinds of decisions that make designers the big bucks, and that make or break products. Apple often refers to how many “NO’s” lead to the eventual “YES”. I don’t envy Waytools as they make these tough decisions!

-Verxion

When I look and handle the nanostand, I almost feel like that could be almost like a small mouse (assuming you could somehow pack the electronics on the layer underneath somehow). So having a form like that would be a neat way to handle storage and compactness. You could have a nanostand slide onto one side of the blades and a nanomouse slide onto the other.

3 Likes

I definitely like this concept

At the xwolfoverride photo

It’s certainly not my ideal mouse, but what I usually use along with the TextBlade is a Microsoft Wedge Mouse (meant for Surface), for the very simple reason that it’s small enough to carry in my bag with the TextBlade and my Macbook. Besides just being small, it feels solidly-built enough that I never expect that it will be damaged from floating around in my bag, after a few years that seems to be the case.

With the exception of games, my ideal mouse is to not have one (e.g. using Awesome WM on Linux). I dislike having to move my hands off the keyboard.

For things like Illustrator or Photoshop, a pen+digitizer (e.g. Apple Pencil) seems to work best for me. Is Waytools targeting that market or just trying to improve standard, mouse-driven UI’s (I am hoping for the latter)? There are some neat ideas in this thread and I am excited to see what Waytools comes up.

1 Like

If a touchpad is considered, how about a nanostand for the touchpad that holds the touchpad, the TextBlade, and a stylus? Why not make the touchpad as accurate as a Wacom tablet (or partner with Wacom)?