Strength of magnetic connection between blades

Hopefully this is the right section:

I have a totally different use case than I think most other people here: severe RSI. I plan on using the textblade as my main keyboard. The idea of a keyboard like the Textblade has always fascinated me, and I even looked into stenographer type keyboards as a possibility of reducing strain. The Textblade seems to reduce reaching even more than my current Kinesis Advantage and should allow me to work longer. This brings me to my question-

To those who have used the Textblade in person, how is the strength of the magnets holding the device components together?

Everything else about the keyboard seems excellent to me, but I have concerns that it may be possible to separate the blades under heavy typing use (ex: not pushing straight down on the keys, twisting wrist to move fingers), which would cut off typing until reattached.

If it comes down to it, I could probably stick some velcro on the back in order to anchor it to my desk, but it’d be nice to know!

related, I keep wondering if, when you use the textblade on a metallic surface, all the parts will stick. If so, that’d make for an easy way of using the TextBlade on your lap, using a small board…

I also have RSI and for some reason, this made me think of a different question…it would really be awesome if the spacebar can be used as a mouse as well. You don’t have to move your hand so often as you type but the selector mode would reduce the need to use the mouse so often during an extensive typing session.

The Neodymium rare earth magnets are surprisingly strong, and hold TextBlade together even if you suspend it in mid air by holding one of the three blades.

In practice, when using it on a tablet top, the blades don’t separate at all. Striking keys doesn’t exert the force vectors required to breach the blades. The anti-skate silicone elastomer base is also so grippy, it’s very hard to slide the blades laterally at all when there is any finger pressure.

And as wmertens correctly observes, if you set the blades on a steel surface, they are also locked in place by their built-in magnets. You couldn’t breach the blades even with some deliberate lateral force.

One of our engineers banged out some email from the refrigerator door, just because it felt so cool, and it was possible,

The magnetic links are really designed for this purpose - to keep the blades together even during vigorous typing.

5 Likes

This thread should fork into 3 separate threads, and should move from the hands-on category.

The RSI topic is actually a big deal, and one of the goals that motivated the design. It is quite a bit less hand and finger work to operate this vs. a six row legacy keyboard, which also lacks TextBlade’s ergonomic angle arrangement, and the super flat and thin profile. We intended TextBlade to bring relief to people who have RSI, and to help prevent the onset in others.

Wmertens very logical thoughts on a surface for lap use, are also raised by other posters, and deserve an independent thread.

We have something vey cool in the works for lap use, that we think will outperform existing keyboard covers.

Great input by all, thank you.

6 Likes

Lap is a big non-mobile use-case for me; I work with an LED display on a boom over an easy chair.
I’ll need Windows ctl/alt/shift and F-key compatbility for my IDE though.