Re-mapping Scandinavian letter to Tab key

The Scandinavian alphabets have three extra letters—Æ, Ø, and Å. Using Multimap, two of them, say, “Ø” and “Å”, can be fitted on the right hand side of the Textblade, on the [ ’ ] and [ / ] keys in the standard English qwerty layout. To avoid having to use some esoteric key combination to type the third letter, “Æ”, I was wondering if it might be possible to:
Re-map “Æ” to the TAB key, and instead make the TAB function available through some key combination or other (say, Command + TAB).
Is it possible with Multimap to assign a function to a key (such as TAB) and also use the same key for something else, such as a letter?

Have you seen the dedicated Scandinavian layouts? https://waytools.com/threads/blog/nordic-layouts
I ordered the Danish version and think it would be more natural to replace Ø and Å with enter and backspace while remaining enter and backspace functionality on the green layer. Have tried to remap it in multimap but I can’t seem to make it work yet.

I saw the Scandinavian layout a long time ago. In the meantime, though, I’ve changed from qwerty to a modified Colemak layout, so I think I’d rather just get the blank cap version (i.e. blank keys with no writing on them). Anyway, from what I remember only two of our Danish-Norwegian letters were included as top-level letters, while the third one had to be accessed through pressing some alt key or other—which is not, in my mind, at all optimal, nor is it aesthetically pleasing for a Scandinavian user. I thought re-mapping the Tab key would be the answer, and it just didn’t occur to me that the Enter key could also be re-mapped. Funny how attached we get to what we’re used to. I think that’s a very good idea, and it would not require moving any of the letters in question to a position much different from what they normally have. Thank you for making me aware of it! I wouldn’t personally want to re-map Backspace in such a way that it needs to be accessed with the help of a function key (I suppose that’s what “green layer” means), since I use it so often.

Green layer is very easy to use on the TextBlade as it just involves pressing down on the SpaceBlade at the bottom and as you will already have you thumbs on the SpaceBlade it makes it much more accessible than keys done via function key on more traditional keyboards.

Oh, is that how it’s done? How very clever indeed! But what, then, is the function of that key with a green symbol which looks like a house on the far left of the middle row? I thought that was the green level activator. Is it perhaps simply a Caps Lock key? That would be good news as I’d love to remap it to something else.

Does anyone know, by the way, if it is possible to re-map keys such as Tab, Caps, and Enter as green-level keys?

That acts as the “Home” key on iOS devices (on the Green Layer). Not sure what it would be used for on other OS’s (I guess it would be interesting to see what is generated if you select a different target OS when installing the map - something for me to try out).

If you have an iOS device then try loading the TextBlade app and go into the Maps section that shows key allocation and this will probably make it clearer. If you do not have an iOS device and if it would be useful some screenshots of the mapping dialogs could be posted that shows how keys are mapped to the various layers.

That sounds interesting, although it will probably soon be available on Android as well?..

[quote=“Bee_Jay, post:7, topic:1629”]
That sounds interesting, although it will probably soon be available on Android as well?..
[/quote]I have no insight into where Waytools might be in producing an Android version of the app, but since the mapping capabilities still seems to be evolving in some areas during the TREG exercise I would think it is a best some months off :frowning:

Here are some screenshots from the iOS app for those who are interested. Initially I have done mapping for QWERTY. However if there are other layouts that are of interest they can be done as well.

I guess also if there are any parts of the TextBlade app that are of particular interest to those without iOS capability we can post screenshots for that as well.

This was something that confused me before getting the TB. I saw the green line on the right and logically thought that was for the green layer. Yet the videos showed them pressing more towards the center for the green layer. I think there is some special stuff for some foreign languages - I’ve seen references to a “left green layer” or something like that which applies to some foreign languages, it seems. But for my situation (U.S. dvorak) I basically have two choices. One is just that the space bar either does a space or, if you press it and another key, it gives you the green level symbol on that key.

Or you can activate “hot corners”. This gives you a command key on the left corner of the space bar and alt on the right corner where that green line is. I use hot corners because it makes it easier to do some little things with one hand. For example, command-q to quit an app.

Thanks a lot. That really made things much clearer. Seeing that the function keys, such as Enter, are mostly the same on the green layer as on the alpha layers (and the ones that aren’t, I’m sure, could easily be remapped), it should be easy to remap for example the Enter key to one of the Scandinavian letters on the alpha layer, and thus maintain the standard Scandinavian layout, and use not-terribly-frequent Enter key only on the green layer. That, of course, is what Erik was saying above, but now I understand what it means.
If the TB is really as good and versatile as it looks then, well … what can I say … It seems to be doing almost all the things I’ve wanted a keyboard to be doing and lots of things I never thought of. (The only thing missing would be allowing the space bar to be divided into a left and a right part for different functions.) Will be interesting to hear how things proceed for those who are already in possession of a texblade as they get more used to it over time.

In case it is not already obvious, the Space Bar is already divided into 3 areas (left, centre, right). On the standard keytops these are labelled as CMD, 123 (Green Layer), ALT but they are not restricted to that use.

As an example In the Scandinavian layouts, the left side is used to access additional ‘Green layers’, whereas in the standard QUWERTY layout it is typically used as an additional way of getting CMD/CTRL (depending on target OS). The right-side is also used in the Emoji layout as the way of getting at the Emoji layer. I have no idea if the built-in sensors would allow for a finer level of graduation.

One of the limitation of getting additional functionality exposed to the end-user is going to be the TextBlade app providing a way of getting at that capability without making it dauntingly complex for the user who just wants a standard layout with no bells and whistles. So far I think that Waytools have done a good job in the app of keeping it accessible to most users. I certainly see this as one area that is going to continue to evolve after General Release of the hardware has happened. Hopefully evolving the iOS app is not going to hold up the development of the app for other platforms.

1 Like

That I’m aware of. What I was thinking of was the space bar proper, as it were; i.e. the whole spacebar minus those three fields. I thought it might be useful if that could be divided into a left and a right half, one of which could be remapped as something other than space forward. This division wouldn’t have to be visually apparent at all, in case that might confuse people. The default would of course be space forward on both sides, so those not wanting to mess around would not be adversely affected. For normal keyboards, such a feature would most definitely be useful for some people (such as me), but on the textblade with its three extra fields (all of which can be remapped as one sees fit, if I understood you correctly) it’s possible that such an extra feature on the spacebar might be overkill and perhaps not all that practical/useful …