None of this will deal with what needs fixing before shipping - just ideas of what WT may do once they decide to ship. Let's start with a one specific scenario:
- They have decided it's done and ready to ship on March 31st.
- They have enough units assembled by that time to fill the first 3 months of orders (if everyone opts for qwerty rather than wait if they want some other layout on the key caps).
We know they said they are going to send out notifications to people to confirm what they want and probably confirm shipping addresses as well.
No doubt there will be a problem with some email addresses no longer being good so WT will, at some point, also have to deal with that problem. I would guess it may come down to having to just ship to whatever mailing address they have and hope for the best. Either that or cancel the order until they get contacted by the customer. Not sure about how these things are handled.
Anyway, how do they handle when to start shipping after the confirmation emails are sent out? I and others have said it would take at least a week to get most responses. But I have decided that that isn't necessary at all.
One could say that the wait is necessary in order to keep all shipments in proper order. But I think not. It is only important that people are not skipped over because they don't respond the first day or so.
Therefore, having enough to fulfill 3 months worth of orders, they would start shipping any orders from THAT group AS SOON AS THEY RECEIVE CONFIRMATION. No one is being skipped over. Their unit is still held for shipping, whenever they return their confirmation email.
True, someone who ordered in March may get theirs before someone in January, simply because they checked their email sooner and responded quicker. I submit they have no reason to complain. After all, is it better to hold up all later orders just because someone else doesn't respond quickly? I don't think so!
So, at what point should WT announce the shipping and send out those emails?
My opinion is that they should NOT do so unless they are ready to ship THAT DAY. My reasoning is simple. Suppose they send out emails 1-2 weeks in advance. What is going to happen during that period of time? Obviously, WT will still have people working on it, even if they think it is done - even if it is just part of the process of developing the next version. What if they suddenly find a big problem? Do you really want them to come back an say, "Sorry, we actually have to cancel the official shipping date"?
I don't. I think it is better to have no time to find new problems at that point. That way, at worst, they get many confirmation emails the same day they are sent out and start shipping those the very next day.
Sure, problems may then still be found - maybe even causing shipping to stop, but a lot of people will have their unit in the meantime. That may sound risky, but if you think about it, that can happen no matter when they ship. It could happen 6 months after they ship!
No, at some point a company has to decide testing related to shipping is done and just go with it. The alternative is to say that in any 1-2 week period a new problem could come up so don't ship.
This is NOT the same thing as has been happening, when problems are discovered during the time leading up to when they expect things to be ready to ship.
This is when they have reached the point where they think it is actually done - not when they expect to be done. They may still be wrong, but the situation is also quite different.
So, if they go with my view and they do expect to ship this quarter, they may not saying anything for two more weeks.
Which doesn't mean I think that is necessarily what will happen. At the very least, we need to hear some info about the connections situation to even begin to estimate that stuff.