On-keyboard selection of map

While holding jumps selection, another keypress selects the map.
Use-case: Let’s say I carry three BT/USB dongles with me which I use to plug into arbitrary devices that I encounter during the day.

I might be working with 3 Linux boxes or 1 x Windows, 1 x Linux, or something else. But the dongles are already paired to specific jumps slots and it’s the map that I want to change, not the pairing. I’ve left my iPad at home, that shouldn’t stop me.

You can pair more than one slot to a dongle as far as I know. I know I have paired more than one slot to my MacBook Pro through a dongle. You could pair 2 slots to each dongle, one with a Windows map and one with Linux for example. Just a thought.

1 Like

I hadn’t thought about that, but I think it’s the right way to go - it keeps an entire dimension of complexity out of the equation without limiting the actual number of things you can do (of course, this requires more jump slots, but I think those were said to be coming eventually?).

No, you can only pair one device to a dongle at a time, if we are talking about the 8510 dongles.

The pairing generates a random key on the TextBlade and stores it on the dongle, and you can’t make two pairings generate the same keys. There is only room for one keyboard and one mouse pairing.

To do this, the TextBlade would need to support linking two slots to the same target host but with different maps, not that silly an idea I think.

1 Like

Does it allow doing this without the dongles? i.e. could you have two different slots for the same computer (over bluetooth) and put different maps in there?

It sounds like at present you’d need a different dongle for each map. You could plug both dongles into the same computer and still switch between them, I suppose. Huh.

The 8510 dongles actually have room for two pairing keys. They’re in USR42 and USR43. The second one is for a mouse; I don’t know what would happen if you put keyboards in both of them.

I have two slots for my iMac. One is set for Dvorak and the other to qwerty. I have almost never used the qwerty one but it seems to work.

1 Like

Ok. I forgot the dongles are storing the pairing in this case and presenting the TextBlade as a normal USB keyboard. The double pairing I had suggested can occur when the dongle is just used as a Bluetooth interface and the OS handles the pairings. In that case the TextBlade appears as a different connected device for each slot paired.

I guess a pocket full of dongles may be the easiest solution in this case-- unless WayTools makes the map associated with a slot selectable from the TextBlade.

2 Likes

I could be wrong, but I think a dongle is merely a Bluetooth receiver (versus, say Logitech, where a dongle has an identity) unless these specific dongles work differently. A jumps slot on the TB has a Bluetooth id it projects to the world, and an associated keymap it uses to translate key presses into keys sent as that Bluetooth id.

When a TB is id 1, I think there’s nothing to prevent three different Bluetooth receiving devices (a phone, an iPad, a Mac mini) from recognizing the same id. I’m guessing handshaking prevents multiple receivers from connecting at the same time, but if two Macs are at different locations, I think they’ll both work with the same id.

Alternatively, if the computers are such that you need the dongle to handle all Bluetooth everything and just present as usb, you do get 6 jumps slots. More configurations than that… I guess that’s a tricky world to live in, and probably not super prevalent, and would require some software features to enable. Having said that, Waytools doesn’t seem to shy away from adding features when they make sense. Ask them via the app, and see what they say!

1 Like

But during the pairing process, shared link keys are set up between the TextBlade and whatever Bluetooth stack is running on the host (whether that stack runs on the computer, or whether it runs on the dongle itself, in the case of the 8510s). So if you paired with Computer A, then with Computer B, your pairing with Computer A would no longer work because the link keys will have changed inside the TextBlade.

After leaving my iPad at work and not having access to the app for an evening, I’m reiterating this wish.

I want to be able, for example, to hold down a jump slot selector + SPACE, then follow that with A to select Android, I to select iOS, P to select standard 105-key PC keyboard layout, or C to select my custom layout for use with that Jump Slot.

I’d also like to be able to query the map for a slot: 1-2+SPACE then ‘?’ and the spaceblade lights light up to tell me map 1, 2, 3, or 4 is in use. I may need to carry a cheat sheet with me.

and another thing… the app should be able to print high-contrast cheat sheets of my maps and jump programming. Higher contrast means they can be smaller.