New TechTalk Update Coming

BREAKING NEWS: Look Ma I Made It!

6 Likes

Just a thought about battery stuff. I read an article recently about the life expectancy of these batteries which I’ll assume is accurate for the test of this post.

It said that not charging over 80% made the battery last longer (this seems to fit with iOS knowing not to fully charge at night until near the time you’ll be getting up - so you get a full charge but it isn’t sitting there at 100% all night).

The article said 90% wasn’t nearly as good but that 70% didn’t gain you enough to be worth it.

So, maybe some future update to TB firmware could give users the option of only charging to 80%. Just taking the present situation, even with me having it on an awful lot each day, there is no problem getting 2 days or so, thus if charging was only to 80%, I’d still get more than a day and I’d just charge it like my Apple Watch each night if necessary. For those who prefer max time between charges, they would stick with the default of charging to 100%.

I would like to know how much difference something like this makes to the life expectancy of the batteries.

1 Like

Me and “my current version”

…but I…don’t…have…a…current version.

1 Like

I read a couple articles or papers where for Lithium Ion cells, keeping them between 50 and 60% was the highest longevity.

There is a Model S owner in Norway who limited the charge to 60%, never drove it below 50%, and then measured the battery capacity a year later and had no measurable loss. But keep in mind there are many factors, including battery calibration, temperature, etc.

And then there are these Japanese carbon (or carbon/lithium??) cells that have approximately the same energy density as Lithium Ion, can tolerate insanely high charge and discharge current, and have “no” measurable capacity reduction after thousands of cycles. But they are so expensive that only multimillion satellites can afford to have those cells (the payoff is worth it because “servicing a satellite” is at least tens of millions of dollars, and it is worth the extra money to extend the service life of a satellite).

In the end it’s a tradeoff; how often you want to charge vs. the cost of a SpaceBlade.

For a large battery pack which is tens of thousands of dollars (replacement cost for a Model S 100KW•h pack not known) and the realistic expectation that we aren’t driving 500kms every single day, it’s worth the hassle. But for a SpaceBlade that is $40 and will probably outlive a Tesla warranty (8 years?) it’s probably not worth the hassle and complexity of offering an option to limit the maximum charge level.

3 Likes

Many of us, myself included, have questioned the merit of the firmware rewrite that Waytools is undertaking. Separately, for some time I’ve been listening to a wonderful podcast by Lex Fridman where he interviews some of the greatest luminaries in computer science and related fields.

His latest, an interview with Jim Keller, has a brief segment covering the reasons why you should and should not attempt a rewrite of your foundational architecture.

Who is Jim Keller? If you’re reading this on a PC, Mac or Windows, Keller co-authored the instruction set of the chips that drive it. He’s designed many years of Intel’s chip architectures, and those of other companies. He knows as much or more about the foundations of computer design as anyone alive and he doesn’t mince words.

I think you’ll find the next five to ten minutes of this podcast riveting. And directly relevant to WayTools’ decision.

4 Likes

Dpom - :+1:t3:Lex Fridman’s Artificial Intelligence podcast is a treasure trove of great tech (and philosophy) interviews. (We follow it frequently)

A who’s-who of Nobel Laureates, Turing Prize winners, Industry experts, Authors, and entrepreneurs like Elon Musk.

Highly recommend it for the demographic here. It’s an intellectual feast, and you’ll love it.

Jim Keller is one of the greatest chip architects ever, and a supremely strategic thinker. He really understands the art of architecture.

He lead chip design at AMD, PA-Semi, Apple, Tesla, now Intel.

At Tesla, he helped conceive the autopilot neural net processor, which was then completed by longtime colleague and uber-brilliant chip designer, Pete Bannon.

Bannon’s team at Tesla has delivered the most state-of-the-art autonomous driving AI chip in the world, and they will release the nextgen in 7nm silicon late next year.

Very exciting time to be alive.

2 Likes

Amazing podcast!

It’s Monday… I get excited like I used to on Christmas morning. What presents did I get? Is there a new update on the TextBlade?

Bummer… All I got was a bag of coal (also known as, “No update”).

Of course, just like the movie, “Groundhog Day”, I’ll get excited next Monday and repeat until we get a true Christmas surprise: an update!

BREAKING NEWS: Tesla AutoPilot potentially suffers from road rage!

It has been suggested that owners and users of Tesla vehicles should avoid using autopilot due to a potential flaw in it’s design which MAY cause unwanted accidents. In certain situations, like when the car is suddenly cut off, the vehicle may suddenly accelerate after the offending vehicle.

Some users report hearing a voice from the sound system in the vehicle saying what sounds like “Tesla SMASH!”.

Tesla has denied this and said it has nothing to do with Pete Bannon but would offer no further comment on if or when an update will be forthcoming. It has not been confirmed, but Mr Bannon is rumored to have studied under Dr Bruce Banner during his gamma ray testing days with the military.

1 Like

Is it too soon to start the Butlerian Jihad?

Well, I don’t know how much complexity would be involved since I don’t know how the code works. But obviously something is being done to tell the TB to stop charging at 100%. So I can see how it COULD be fairly simple to have it check for two numbers - 100% and 80% and certainly shouldn’t be a big deal to add a switch in the app.

As for the usefulness and how often you want to charge, I figure for a lot of people, as long as it last for an entire day, regardless of how much you are using it, they will be satisfied with charging each night.

Now, many people will have it last much longer because of less use. So, suppose you have someone who goes a week between charges. They may get used to the idea of only charging on a specific night each week which becomes an easy to remember habit. If limiting (though this would only be an option) the charge to 80%, can they still make it a week? If so, then this is still a nice option.

The only negative I can see are people who have an easy to remember routine now, but the reduced charge would put them into an odd charging cycle which is harder to remember, thus requiring them to pay more attention to the remaining charge. Like if you go from weekly to every 5 days.

The important issue is how much longer would the total battery life be with the reduced charge? If you get four years now before a heavy user wouldn’t get a full day, but with this change that might take 6 years. That would be a nice benefit.

UNLESS there are other things which a heavy user would wear out by 4 years anyway. Of course, people may opt for newer models just as they replace good phones with newer phones, but I suspect they would either give the old TB to someone or keep the old one as a backup. Or as one to keep in their travel kit so they don’t have to worry about forgetting to take their main one.

Waytools:

More detail on that in the update

Me:

So, this coming Monday then?

I’m sure it was an oversight, but it is Monday! You still have over an hour to get that update out!

3 Likes

No no no no no, Monday is the MEETING day!! TUESDAY is for the update!! :wink:

That’s my usual expectation but I already committed tuesday to getting new firmware and I stick to my commitments!

1 Like

Actually, Tesla hides some buffer capacity (like 10%) on new batteries so that it seems that they are without any loss for the first 6-8 months. They do this because in the beginning, Li-Ion batteries degrade very quickly for a bit. So unless this owner measured actual capacity separately, the conclusions may be faulty.

2 Likes

@waytools
Anything on when we will get that update? If there is something you can’t talk about - say, if Apple is coming out with new ipads in March (which is rumored) and it will include a keyboard cover based on TB design and Apple doesn’t want you to talk about it, you can leave that part out! :slight_smile:

Only 36 more days before the end of winter shipping estimate to fit in an update and treg testing!

3 Likes

BREAKING NEWS: WayTools to buy Apple!

In what some are calling the purchase of the century, WayTools is rumored to be buying Apple. This is based upon the lack of comments on Apple releasing new iPads in March which will include new keyboard covers based on the TextBlade design.

It has been rumored that Mark was overheard while leaving the WayTools offices saying “I’m going out to buy Apple”.

More details to come…

4 Likes

In further research, it seems this purchase or Apple may have been underway for some time. This would explain the promised update being over a year late.

When asked about a potential purchase, Tim Cook simply turned away and could be heard mumbling something that sounded like “We’ve lost our mojo. We didn’t think a keyboard would be this difficult.” and just before the door slammed, he is rumored to have said something that sounded like “WayTools can fix it.”

More to come…

4 Likes

Found this on MacWorld:

There are rumors circulating that Apple will soon be announcing new iPad Pro models and, with them, a new take on the Smart Keyboard.

Further evidence to support the rumor that WayTools is in the works to buy Apple has been found. In serching the history of this very forum, WayTools has seemed to have prior knowledge of new Apple products that were yet to be announced.

WayTools have also provided tech support to our own @dabigkahuna when he recently upgraded to a new mac mini and was having bluetooth issues. Normally, tech support issues would be provided by the manufacturer.

Those two items are a few “things that make you say hmmmmm”.

More to come…

1 Like