New MacBook Pro Keyboard

I just received a new 13" MacBook Pro a couple of days ago. It has the new scissor keyboard that Apple has moved to. I came to this from two different Apple butterfly keyboards. The bottom line is, I find the new scissor quite superior to the butterflies.

It is taking a little time to get used to the 1mm vs 0.6mm travel. I have to raise my fingers a bit more as I move around the keys. The butterfly keys did allow for very fast typing, but often led to keys that jam or malfunction with crud getting caught in them. And the key feel wasn’t particularly satisfying. The feel seemed to be polarizing - love/hate for most.

I suspect that most we’ll really like the feel of the new scissor. The feel is reminiscent of the TextBlade. Very satisfying and I find my typing is more accurate than the butterfly. Make no mistake, it is still no TextBlade. The keystrokes are solid but the spacing is still the same as standard keyboards.

Still, i don’t think i will have to have this keyboard replaced as I have had to do with the butterfly. And for small amounts of typing, it works well. Longer sessions will still be TextBlade generated!

1 Like

Forgot to metion that it now has a dedicated escape key. Previously, you would have to touch the touch bar to display the escape key, and then touch again to activate. Now we are back to a single push. A welcomed change.

1 Like

This brings up something I’ve wondered about for awhile.

I know the Apple butterfly had lots of issues - not even counting the reduced key travel which sounds good on paper, but most I’ve heard speak on it is that it doesn’t feel as good as the 2mm travel.

Anyway, from what I’ve seen in patents, Waytools had the butterfly concept patented before Apple - they just didn’t use that name.

However, with Apple having so many problems with theirs, I’m sure any mention of a keyboard having any kind of butterfly design is going to carry some of that stigma. Yet I don’t see any of the problems with the design WT did. But it can be hard to overcome prior impressions!

Just wondering how to minimize that negativity.

Eh, just call it MagLev (oh snap, taken by Sunon) or something else then. I’ll bet butterflies are upset with the ruining of their good name by Apple’s choice to name their “disposable shampoo bottle cap hinge” keys after them. How on earth did anyone who’s ever owned a disposable shampoo bottle not smell “planned obsolescence” from a mile away?

1 Like

:rofl:

While they might use butterfly to describe the design, i don’t expect that will be a primary marketing term. I would think they would focus on the feel - far better, and not just because of 2mm. Pointing to the magnets will speak to longevity and uniqueness. Ultimately, it will be the reviews rather than the marketing terms that will garner the interest of potential customers. Even better would be to have them in stores so people can experience it - though keeping them from walking away would be tough!

1 Like

I agree. But I also fully expect the reviews to mention “butterfly” keys and make reference to Apple’s problems. Good reviewers will go deeper than than rather than leave an impression that “butterfly” is automatically a flawed approach. But not all reviewers are good.

amen

Maybe we can get the story out that the reason the Macbook Pro butterfly keys failed is because they had to avoid WayTools patents on the GOOD butterfly design!

2 Likes

I love that!

A wild idea would be to have a group of users with considerable experience with TextBlades who could flood review sites with the benefits and capabilities of the product. I could imagine that WayTools might want to build such a following and demonstrate their transparency and ability to address issues quickly. Crazy enough that it might just work.

1 Like

The Waytools butterfly design is radically different from Apple’s and not subject to the issues Apple encountered. Waytools from a marketing perspective, ought to change the term “butterfly keys” as it has a negative perception by the public due to Apple’s design defects in their implementation of a butterfly key design.

Dragonfly keys could open up a whole new marketing campaign

1 Like