New Infrastructure Code Fork - Top Ten Requests after GR

I would like to have on-screen hunt and peck support to help learn the original or custom keymaps.
I expect that it means that “raw” key up/key down events need to be transmitted to system without regard to any mode or shift state. “raw” here means that the textblade has done all of it’s decoding of real-world finger sensing to keystroke but not mapping to shift state or anything else, just key codes.

This “raw” map is interpreted by the system and allows display of a graphical version of the textblade and lines connecting to other key maps/graphical versions that represent different shift states. The lines are labeled with the shift sequence needed to bring the shift-mappings to the foreground.

I might be happy just being able to print a chart laid out in this manner.

That reminds me of a years old request of mine; I’d like to be able to export and import human readable keymaps that I can process myself.

1. ability to use space blade as the equivalent of an Apple Remote App; by detaching wings of TB blade and storing them underneath it; for use as 1) apple remote; 2) presenter remote; 3) mouse

2. some pre-stored and loadable layers based on short-cut keys for the most popular software in various industries; perhaps a store front of sorts where one can dev and share them for others to use; Adobe Suite, Avid, ProTools, etc. would be heavily used/valued in my business; I’m guessing you’d see development around specific popular games, etc., too.

3. the ability to time and record a key press or string of key presses and assign that to a single hot key strike; ability for each of these input strings to operate at the same time; so I could assign a whole layer to keys that transmit a key press at specified intervals and “Play” each recorded string of key presses simultaneously. Essentially, I want the ability to turn my TB into a musical midi controller/instrument. That would slap.

2 Likes

So has a solid General Release date been set? If not, I rather wish it’s shipping sooner than post GR features. I just want it to be in my hands before anything. This is like taking step 2 before taking step 1.

Wow! Already some excellent ideas, and great depth on nuances of use cases.

Thanks to all for the contributions so far, look forward to seeing more.

————————

Jlee98 - our focus now is on feature parity for the new infrastructure for general release.

We’re not building the above new ideas before we have GR. However, the fantastic look-ahead they provide is super valuable for our developers.

It’s visibility that’s very helpful to our team to confirm robustness and compatibility of the foundation they are building right now.

We like what we hear. Looks like our new foundation is on exactly the right track.

4 Likes

I might not be fully understanding what you’re asking for but I believe the keyword you are looking for on iTerm is “broadcast” and you can already do that today without the need of extra keys.
You can broacast to a set of tabs or even panes on the same tab, across tabs, etc…

For instance, right-click on the iTerm window and you should see an option for “Toggle Broacasting Input”. That’s it :slight_smile:

As for my wishlist, for now:
1 - get a textblade on my hands (don’t we all?)
2 - ability to copy/paste across devices (probably via app companion? I don’t think the device has enough memory to handle huge chunks of copied text)
3 - get a textblade on my hands (again)

2 Likes

First two don’t count, since you’re already working on them, but I’ll mention them anyway, because they’re so important to me:

• Adjustable boundaries everywhere. I have trouble with some keys which I can’t adjust.
  • Universal TextBlade app.

And I want to double down on Ephij with recordable macros. I’d like these to include ability to edit the macro in the app and insert pauses and perhaps other meta-keys.

The more controversial new idea comes in my next post…

A FIDO implementation that is unlocked with a passphrase. Now use the TextBlade as a hardware key.

A separate passphrase unlocks a password manager, which might be part of the app, or perhaps a separate (extra cost) capability. This came under some fire elsewhere as the things I was suggesting were considered too easy to hack. But I’ll mention them here as I’m delighted to expose my ignorance to a larger group in the hope that someone smarter than me might see a way forward to solve the greater problem.

Essentially, I’d like to have the TextBlade save and enter passwords, using the app as a password manager. The physical TextBlade is ‘something I have’, the passphrase is ‘something I know’ and perhaps (perhaps!) some associated biometric like my typing rhythm and finger placement is ‘something I am’. That last is pretty tricky given how difficult it is sometimes just to type the right character. Especially in an obfuscated password entry field.

How that gets done securely, how it’s backed up and preserved, well that’s not my specialty. :slight_smile:

2 Likes
  • I know “map anything anywhere, including sticky ctrl/cmd etc.” is is coming, but just want to re-iterate my support for the most important aspect of the new infrastructure.
  • Have device-independent and device-dependent mappings. Some stuff is the same everywhere, some isn’t. Right now I have to maintain different mappings for different devices, and make new device-independent changes on all the different device mappings. One easy implementation would be export-to/import-from json.
2 Likes

Very exciting prospectives already mentioned above. Many ideas that would bring so much advanced functionality to what is already there. Great that those are stated as that means it frees up a few options for me.

Mine, in no particular order

1. Macro enhancements, similar to prior mentions. Would like to include pauses (delays), modifiers, Jumps, replay strokes.
  2. Keyboard navigation in the app (or whatever future state that takes). I’d find it very useful to navigate and access everything in the app via TextBlade.
  3. Community enhancements. I know map sharing is coming post general release but would also like to see an SDK for an extensible TextBlade.
1 Like

Is that in relation to program/app menus?

Or page dropdowns like on a web page?

Alt + a letter gets you access to a lot of things in Windows.

CMD ? is much better if you’re on a Mac. Allows you to access every menu item.

1 Like

Hey zed_blade,

Thanks for the suggestion! It’s always great to have someone think about your issues.

I use iTerm broadcast, tmux, and screen to accomplish that particular use case already. I was trying to put some context around my request. Perhaps I should have stopped at “the ability to send the same input to two devices at once with one key press”.

I over-explain myself sometimes. It’s part of why I haven’t posted here before, despite being a dedicated lurker for about 4.5 years now.

Thanks for pointing that out! I’ve been using a Mac close to all the time. But I do occasionally have to breakout a Windows laptop for testing websites, so I never think to customize the key maps there because I haven’t spent enough time with it.

Thanks for the advice! I actually do cover this use case with a mix of screen, tmux and iTerm already.

I was just proposing one use for a feature I think I would get a lot of use out of because of all the times I wish I could open an iTerm session across multiple machines while doing manual software testing, etc… and type the same input into two or more computers at once.

I’m also pretty sure it would actually be impossible without two radios in the device, which would likely cause too much interference for Bluetooth. Which is very noisy.

BUT I still wanted to put it out there in case the more focused minds at Waytools could see a way to do it.

Could the Mobile App be used as my on screen display? It would be nice to have the TB controlling my computer while my phone (just below my monitor) would have an image of the TB mappings/keycaps that dynamically changes as I’m typing until I learn all the crazy custom mappings I just knew were a great idea at the time.

1 Like

Thanks @gmadden for the tips! That’s definitely nice but I still prefer the feel of navigating to hit a button, select a menu etc when possible. SIDEBAR my new LG monitor (discussed in another thread) has remote control for navigation for it’s functions but I still find myself often opening and pairing the iphone app just to navigate with the inexact and lo-res trackpad feature it includes.

There has been some great ideas listed here. Here is my list.

1. My number one firmware wishlist is to have separate control of physical keyboard settings, OS and key mapping. I use the Dvorak keyboard on the TB, but sometimes I am connected to a Mac, sometimes to Windows, sometimes to iOS. Sometimes the computer is set to use Dvorak, sometimes QWERTY. Having independent control of this would be nice. I also have had non-Dvorak guest that might want to try the TB out, but I don’t have a jump slot configured. Basically, I don’t have enough jump slots to configure QWERTY and Dvorak with Windows/Mac/iOS with the OS set to Dvorak and QWERTY. This would require 2x3x2=12 slots. Independent control of these three attributes would be fantastic.

2. My main hardware wishlist item is more flexibility in charging. Having USB-3c support would solve much of my problem. I dan’t carry an extra USB to USB-3c adapters with me all of the time, and thus I end up delaying charging until it is convenient and I have an adapter available. Sometimes when I am desperate for some juice, I try charging off of available computers, but this does not always work with the nano charger. I find some vertical USB slots do not press against the nano charger with enough force to make a good connection (HP Z400 for instances). A full-size USB charger adapter would solve this, but would definitely not be as convenient as the nano charger.

3. My second hardware issue is that I would like to be able to use my TB while it is charging. One solution is to buy a second SpaceBlade, but this would require the TB.app to support multiple SpaceBlades. Obviously another solution is to have a corded USB adapter which also give me the advantage of using this connection for games. Support for games is very helpful when I am sitting at a desk with a keyboard tray, since the laptop keyboard is difficult to reach. The option of having a second SpaceBlade that can be configured with different maps and macros is quite interesting. I am not sure my finger memory could jump between two sets of maps and macros, but some might find this feature useful.

I realized that much of my wishlist is related to difficulties in charging my keyboard. It is not like my phone that gets charged each night, since I perhaps only charge the TB once or twice a week. I really am dependent on my TB and would hate to leave it on the charger when I headed out. I also travel light and don’t normally carry extra charging gear, so when it is dead, I am like a fish out of water.

1 Like

(poorly thought out ideas follow)

Mouse with an OLED display? https://hexus.net/tech/news/peripherals/88523-cooler-master-sentinel-iii-mouse-oled-display-launched/

Make a hand sized mouse.
You should be able to have a cavity to store TB.
The OLED display, mouse buttons, TB keys give you some flexibility in local management of the TB.

So in summary, add buttons, batteries, display, etc. (collect all the underpants), write some software (TBD), profit!

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO5sxLapAts

Hiser - excellent points.

Independent control of config is a core construct that our new infrastructure is built to support.

You still get the convenience of pre-config per jump slot, but with new ability to override this at will.

Charging has some nice advances that you’ll like too.

3 Likes

ephij,

I love this idea (key map displays on the mobile phone while using the TextBlade for entry on another display)! Frees up space on the primary screen.

I would like the ability to password protect a specific layer. This goes back to previous discussions about enter passwords or partial passwords on a specific layer. If I switch to a layer and then be required to enter a specific chord (of my choosing) to unlock that layer, it would give me protection of my passwords.

How about a future hardware feature of putting a biometric key on the keyboard?

2 Likes