New Android Support?

I noticed noticed this on https://waytools.com/products/textblade/1/android

“Coming Soon.”!

2 Likes

That’s something at least. Still the word “soon” we all love so much, but something.

4 Likes

Cool.

Hey @waytools, can I download the APK file? If it’s going to be a while before it’s in the Play store, I’d like to sideload it and give it a whirl side by side with the iOS version.

Hurrah!!! Could all be smoke and mirrors, or they could have actually started development!

@waytools, now can I be part of TREG? Android TREG!!!

1 Like

That’s the first admission outside the forum, on the site that is taking orders, that the Android app (not even the MultiMap feature, but the core app itself) is not ready for release.

So big ups to WT for finally owning up to that – after eighteen months…

Ironically, this may actually mean that hardware is close to releasing…and the lack of the Android app needs a figleaf to point to when volume orders start happening and Android owners swarm to Google Play and find…nothing yet.

2 Likes

Hey Mags

You sure your name isn’t Debbie? Debbie Downer?

James

The actual message is: “Our very cool software isn’t ready for release on Android” when the rest of the sales part of the site implies they been delivering since the beginning of July: SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD!

3 Likes

Are you using the word “SOLD” in a very narrow sense that can ONLY mean “shipped to the customer?” I think assuming it means that “we have received orders that commit our planned inventory until the third week of September,” is equally valid. Or even, “if you order now, you won’t get it BEFORE the third week of September.”

2 Likes

Yeah, don’t rely on WT’s word on when something would be delivered. It’ll lead to disappointment. Soon can mean “in 2018”.

1 Like

I finally saw the video, and I had to laugh at the “Coming Soon!”. For new “customers”, that means in a few weeks; for veteran “customers”, that means in a few years. LOL.

@MaggieL - I am surprised that they didn’t call it the MaggieL page, and you maybe right. @Waytools may actually think that this thing is going to ship “soon” or within the next 2 months. We will see how the duck-tape and chicken wire holds up to the next group of TREGGERs, or we may have a new shiny distraction coming our way.

1 Like

It’s not my word, it’s theirs. If you were a casual buyer seeing the site for the first time, what would you think it meant?

If a show’s not coming to town until December, should you claim it’s “SOLD OUT” in October?

5 Likes

I don’t see any duct tape or chicken wire in my test unit…must be hidden inside :wink:

I’d suggest getting your preferred brand of polish ready for your new shiny!! (I don’t mean to suggest you should put polish on the TextBlade, I don’t think that would be a good idea :wink: )

James

1 Like

I would think that it meant that even if I ordered (pre-ordered, pre-payed, whatever you want to call it) today, I wouldn’t get it before September. But that’s just me, others will obviously think otherwise.

James

1 Like

The question put to me was “What does SOLD mean?”
It appears on dates in the WT “availability” schedule both in the past and the future.
Apparently you’re answering some other question.

1 Like

I was answering your question

James

1 Like

So, my recollection is that Maggie was quite upset that they were advertising Android capabilities for the app (not just the keyboard) despite not having started it.

Clearly, they’ve started it, since the app runs on Android.

Since the keyboard isn’t yet shipping to customers, there’s not any deception there about the availability of an app (you can think what you like about the availability of the keyboard).

Can we let it go now or was there more?

(And yes, I find the “sold” calendar to be rather frustrating, since it does convey some useful information, but without any actual indication of the status of the device or its shipping.)

1 Like

Maggie, you’re a genius!! I think you just solved the whole “I bought and paid for this 1.5 years ago arguement”

In answer to your question, if tickets went on sale in October or before and are sold out, yes, you should claim that it’s “SOLD OUT” in October.

Using @MaggieL’s show analogy, what everyone has bought and @wayTools have SOLD, is a virtual ticket, a place in line if you will. As with a show that is coming to town in December, tickets go on sale months, sometimes years, in advance. You are charged at the time of purchase to be guaranteed admittance to the show, when it actually takes place.

By making your TextBlade purchase, you are guaranteed a TextBlade when they are released. Consider the TextBlade the postponed show. general release will happen, just not on the original date. As with a show that gets postponed where you can request your money back if you don’t like the new date, @WayTools allows you to request an immediate refund if you don’t want to wait.

This perfectly fits!

James

3 Likes

Does this mean they won’t ship to North Carolina?

2 Likes

Yup! Says so right on the box! “Ships to everywhere EXCEPT North Carolina”.

(Just kidding! :wink: )

James

That’s Ok - I don’t live there. But a couple of classic rock concerts I wanted to go to were cancelled because of the “Bathroom Bill”.