MultiMap is Up ! Blog post now online

MutiMap software App now operational !

Lots of new software engineering inside TextBlade firmware, in iOS App, and in iOS plug-in, that all work together to create very powerful custom keyboard design tools.

Personalize your TextBlade with MultiMap! Any key, any location, any layer.

Post and video now online on blog at:

p.s. - production update with detailed info for technology enthusiasts to follow soon. (Note - Date not promised! Will post to advise as soon as it’s online)

10 Likes

Way cool!
Bravo!
Chapeau!
Way to go!

2 Likes

Congrats @waytools! Very cool to get some new detailed techie posts on your blog! :+1:t2::facepunch:t2::sunglasses:

1 Like

@waytools it looks likes there’s some great functionality already in MultiMap and you have mentioned in other posts that the software will continue to evolve along with the firmware but a couple of questions from the video, please?

• can we map control type keys, such as page up/page down?
  • will we be able to map things such as copy/paste or the keystrokes themselves to a key, so for example map ctrl + x as an action on pushing left shift + green + x?
  • will we be able to build our own ‘mod keys’ to build additional layers ( I seem to recall something in the forum about there being other layers coming later with firmware updates etc.)
  • with the onboard memory, that you have mentioned in other posts, will we be able to host more than one MultiMap on keyboard and flip between them (via some keyboard combo for example). This would relate to some of the discussions for international users who need to use multiple languages so French and German layouts both loaded. It can be done via the app but there will be times where you want to quickly flip between the two.
  • will we, later be able to build actual chords, much like the mod keys?

I’m sure this stuff will start to come out and sometimes the reason that people don’t answer questions (or post blogs…) is that the answers (even if good) will often raise many more questions as people realise what they don’t know…

Many thanks for a product that continues to impress in terms of its capability and like the majority of folks here, I’m really excited that we’re seemingly approaching the final straight…?!

2 Likes

OK, @waytools… You’ve once again demoed an excellent combo of hardware, firmware and software that is the TextBlade. And you’ve made me want the bloody things more than ever!!

I also appreciate the poke you made at yourselves making the “(Note - Date not promised! …)” point. It does seem that you’re really TRYING to learn from the last few weeks. I applaud that.

Please maintain your focus and get those TextBlades out the door! I do expect that by the time your “pre-order” shipping backlog has cleared, you’ll have plenty of new orders coming in. When people see this thing for real, they’re going to be excited!

PLEASE communicate with us as to the shipping status, depth of the backlog queue, number of TextBlades going out the door, Etc. on a weekly basis. It doesn’t have to be an elegant, fancy Blog post with Whiz-bang graphics or a snazzy video… A simple text post here in an appropriate forum topic will do a lot to engender good will.

It is starting to look like there IS a light at the end of the tunnel… PLEEEEEEEZE don’t let it be the oncoming train!!

1 Like

Will multimap be made available for android, or is it going to be IOS only?

Can you showcase the smart prompts as well?
Would be very interested to see them :smile:

1 Like

@pngwen, yes the MultiMap app will be available for Android and Windows. WayTools (WT) has laid out a road map for app development as follows:

At launch:
iOS

“Soon” thereafter:
OS X
Android

Down the road:
Windows
Linux (highly dependent upon demand)
Other

For early adopters WT has recommended that those with non iOS devices use an iOS device of a friend or colleague, until such time as an android app is available.

Due to how many flavors of android are running in mass quantities, I’m sure it would go a long way to let WT know which version on what hardware you are running so they can get a feel of what their user base has.

Of note, the MultiMap app will let the user customize their TextBlade (TB) with choice of layout as a whole or configure each individual key to the users personal preference. Once this is uploaded to the TB, the configuration will be accessible to any compatible BT device regardless of the presence of the MultiMap app on that device.

Example:
If you want the return key to act as the space bar, use the MultiMap app on a friends iOS device to program the TB. This change will be new default layout and will work on your android and Windows devices, anytime you hit return it puts in a space instead.

3 Likes

Out of curiousity @waytools, would using the app on an iOS simulator let us program our devices?

1 Like

If you publish an api and some sample code the Linux crew will likely feed themselves if the hardware is successful.

There’s a billion little hardware devices running some flavor of Linux out there.

You cannot install apps from App Store onto iOS Simulator.

Only applications for which you have the source, is compiled specifically for the CPU on the Mac running the iOS Simulator.

They also dropped Core Bluetooth support from the iOS Simulator.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Some great questions here.

We’ll start with a few from @Megapode.

Yes. You can choose these and other functions from a list and map them to a location / layer.

Yes. There’s a shifted green layer and you can put combos there like Ctrl-X.

There are additional layers available, and we’ll share more info on them in the future.

If you want to create your own custom layers, accessed by custom chords, the TextBlade API provides raw key and timing data - so you can fully customize TextBlade’s behavior for your own app / keyboard extension.

With our keyboard extension installed in your iOS / Android device, you can instantly switch between layouts with an action on your TextBlade. You can have several of these layouts resident in the extension for fast switching.

TextBlade’s built-in memory lets you store one of those as your primary map in the TextBlade itself, without the need for the extension.

So basically, use the extension to hot swap lots of maps.

4 Likes

@wmertens – Smart prompts are way cool. Excited to showcase them in another video.

@pngwen – Android and OS X are next up. @Travelingtech, thanks for the great summary.

@twoboxen – That would be a clever hack, but @mrtinb and @awh_tokyo have it right. The iOS simulator lacks the Bluetooth support needed to communicate with TextBlade. The good news is that the TextBlade API is portable between iOS and Mac. The main work for an OS X version is porting the app user interface.

@RobertFontaine – The Linux community rocks! Expect they’ll generate some very cool stuff. Plan is to provide the LibTextblade API and some open source command line tools that exercise it (and act as sample code).

4 Likes

Excellent! I’m glad to read that yoy are going to release a lib. I was planning on breaking out my bluetooth snooping equipment in order to work out your protocol, and now I won’t have to.

I am looking forward to hacking my new toy now!

1 Like

Is there any plan to allow storage on the TextBlade itself? How much room is on there anyway?

This thread indicates my interest: Encrypted Storage

Questions about the TexBlade multimap iOS app

Hi, I have been a daily lurker since I ordered about one year ago.

I have quite a few questions to WayTools and the TREGers about the progress of the iOS app. Since you all have the latest version (via TestFlight), I would be very pleased if you could answer some of them:

1. Do the Textblade app support landscape mode by now?
  2. What happens if you try to flash a layout to TextBade that contains unicode characters. Any warnings, or are they just stripped out? (I understand that any unicode characters can be asigned and used when used with the iOS keyboard extension)
  3. My understanding is that after flashing the TextBlade with AZERTY, QWERTZ, Spanish, Nordic, etc. key maps, it must be used with the corresponding language keyboard drivers on OSX, Windows and native iOS (when used without the TexBlade extension), exept for Colemac and Dvorak where I guess US QWERTY must be used. Is this a correct assumption?
  4. Is there a way to toggle layers instead of just temporary activate it (while holding a chord or space)?
  5. Is it possible to have uppercase letters on keys on unshifted layer? Or vice versa? (Since you can have shifted and unshifted numbers and symbols like 5 and % on same layer)
  6. Is there an easy way of changing maps straigth from the extension on iOS, without having to open Multimap?
  7. Does the the extension now display current map name in use?
  8. Is it possible to map modifier combinations (Alt, Shift, Cmd, Ctrl) with any key onto a single key (or in macros)?
  9. Any support for delay/wait commands in macros?
  10. Can macros be flashed to TextBlade to work on any OS?
  11. Are the left green (on non QWERTY layouts) and shift green the same layer or separate layers? In other words, is it possible to access and remap all four layers: green, left-green, shift-green, shift-left-green?
  12. Wouldn’t it be better to show lowercase as lowercase and upercase as uppercase letters, both in the multimap remapping tool and in the keyboard extension? (Like iOS 9 native onscreen keyboards, that shows uppercase only when shift is active)
  13. I guess the iOS keyboard extension is receiving some kind of internal key matrix codes from the TextBlade instead of relying on regular scan codes? Otherwise the TextBlade app, the iOS extension, and users would get quite confused after flashing the TextBlade with Colemak or Dvorak. Is this a correct assumption?

Hope you have time and permission to answer or discuss some of these points, thank you …

I’ll quickly answer a few.

first. iPhone doesn’t have landscape. Just ipad.

third. I can only tell you that with Dvorak, I had to set the iMac to U.S. Qwerty.

fourth. You can toggle a number pad and edit mode. But not toggle something like the whole green layer.

fifth. Don’t think you can do much about uppercase and lowercase. At least I couldn’t when I tried before.

Not quite true. My 6s has landscape in certain apps such as Messages and Mail.

1 Like

Unless I misunderstood the question, he was asking about the Textblade app in particular. I haven’t seen anything in landscape mode for iphone for that app.