Little do they know.... :)

Well, perhaps they know but do not take it seriously after not delivering for so long with constant delays for years and years

1 Like

Pierce’s conclusion after trying all the alternatives to a physical keyboard -

“That’s why, whenever possible, I still find myself clacking away at QWERTY, like a century hasn’t passed.”

All those would-be alternatives - we could buy off-the-shelf for years now: projection keyboards, sensor gloves to track finger motion, and vision systems to watch hand gestures. But writers don’t want them.

There’s a reason. Even after decades and billions in R&D, these efforts all lack a fundamental requirement -

Get any letter with a single key-press, that feels great.

Despite repeated attempts, experimenters still don’t understand that there is an essential proprioceptive feedback loop. What we feel physically and cognitively as we strike the characters - this is core to what a keyboard is.

From Wikipedia - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprioception -

“Without the appropriate integration of proprioceptive input, an artist would not be able to brush paint onto a canvas without looking at the hand as it moved the brush over the canvas; it would be impossible to drive an automobile because a motorist would not be able to steer or use the pedals while looking at the road ahead; a person could not touch type or perform ballet; and people would not even be able to walk without watching where they put their feet.”

This is why humans can flow their writing better with a great physical keyboard, than with anything else.

Virtual alternatives ignore this core point, and fall short from the starting gate. They still don’t comprehend the definition of the problem, which is what TextBlade solves.

It’s easy to ship experiments. But a new paradigm that users consistently prefer - that took a different understanding of the requirement, and a different skill and persistence to create.

The best inventions always originate from a deep insight - one that humbly respects reality, and accurately defines the problem.

7 Likes

This discussion made me glance over to my shelf, littered with cool ideas.

Many are well executed and were used with satisfaction to fill a need; some are not.

But zero of them are or were game changing.

Based on my own review and many other TREG reviews, this product has the potential to be game changing for users who adopt it, so it’s reasonable to think of it as a different category of development in the sense of how carefully @waytools is attempting to target the most optimal set of characteristics and features and to refine that well thought out theory based on a limited but varied set of real world users.

Of course to be a game changer requires actually getting it into the hands of a large population so in addition to release there will need to be support and marketing strategies but that’s a topic for a different discussion.

1 Like

Yes, we keep hearing about new ideas in keyboards but every one of them seem to have major problem or only have an advantage in very narrow situations (the TB is pretty much the opposite - bettter in most situations, maybe not best in more unusual situations.

I wouldn’t say it is about one key per letter simply because we have the green layer and, in a few cases, green plus shift. But, man, the feel is fantastic. Never thought I’d enjoy typing. It used to be just something I had to do and I hoped it wouldn’t be a bad experience. I’d be happy if it just wasn’t a chore.

I should add that, while you do sometimes have to hit space and another key, it simply isn’t an issue with a little practice. I find it much easier than when I use just the shift key for a character on any keyboard. The thumb tends to naturally be in the right position and, of course, it is also a stronger digit.

But I really want this thing shipped!

dbk -The notion of any letter = any alphabetic character. The 26 characters of the alphabet are all a single, direct strike on TextBlade, and this is crucial.

Certainly there are dozens of additional symbols you can get with a shift (as on legacy keyboards too), but you never need more than one finger to type a letter on TextBlade.

In contrast, there are many proposed formats (like twiddler, or virtual boards) using combinations of multiple fingers or gestures to get individual alphabetic letters. But they never got user traction because they’re too much physical work and cognitive load.

Surprisingly, even with its added work, the one-handed twiddler is still quite a bit larger than TextBlade.

1 Like

Ah, okay, just the regular letters and, of course, some other things.

But I actually think my point about just how darn easy it is to get those other things that are on the green layer (not to mention with less stretching) actually makes it even better.

After all, some people might say they can hit numbers with one finger on a regular keyboard - but it is a heck of a lot harder to do that than it is to get numbers on a TB using the green layer! Even in my particular case where, using Dvorak, the comma and period are on the same keys as the numbers are. And that did cause me some coordination issues at first if I needed a comma or period in a number. Yet even though my case makes it harder than qwerty, it is STILL better than getting numbers on regular keyboards.

I know those without a TB get somewhat annoyed at reading such positive comments when they are anxiously waiting. I understand that. But it is just a fact that people should know about anyway. Sure beats reports that are negative!

if it’s innovative & performant that you’re after (and don’t mind a learning… curve? cliff?), then you might wanna check out some sort of steno board: like this :slight_smile: