Layouts for specific Apps

Has anyone experimented with making specific layouts for specific apps? Did you assign to different jump slots?

Yes, I have two jump slots for my iPad. This allows one map fo normal iOS usage and a second for using the Jump Desktop app for which I have assigned a Windows map. The TextBlade is then able to use Windows modifier keys on the iPad.

2 Likes

Cool, I’ll have to gry this out.

I’ve done the same. It works well.

I’ve set up the Number layout for use in Excel as I never use that layer for anything else.

The arrows are mirrors of The edit layer.
Page up and down also has the Ctrl modifier so that I can switch sheets.
The Tab on the T key also has the Alt modifier so I can change apps with one hand.

Since you obviously are more into using a numpad than I am, let me run some stuff I did past you and get your opinion.

First, partly because I’m not proficient with a numpad, I also left the regular numbers across the top. So, obviously, there is some duplication there. And since it puts the zero next to the “9” key, I removed it from the lower left of that blade. Apparently a standard number pad puts the zero BELOW the “1” - or even a wider key below “1” and “2”. So I guess where WT put it is as close as you can get when you only have 3 rows. But then, since I’m not used to a numpad, I figure changing it wouldn’t be an issue for me as I have to get used to it from scratch anyway. In my minimal practice, I did seem to miss it a lot where WT put it and less so up by the “9”.

Okay, so those number changes are one part. Next comes the things like decimal, comma (which may not matter on Excel if you have formatted the cells to include it, but would if typing text), and also the 4 basic math operators.

Once again, I do have the “luxury” of not being used to anything like this. With WT’s setup, it always seemed odd to me to have one of the operators in the upper left, but the other 3 on the right column. Likewise the decimal on one layer but comma on another and it a different location.

So, for the math operators, I put all of them on the green layer, but right on the 4 home keys (+ - * /). Seemed that it would make them very easy to hit that way but, again, I’m not used to using a numpad so I could be completely wrong. The actual order of the operators certainly can be changed. I just put them in an order I felt I could most easily remember. But looking at images of numpads online, I see they typically do / * - + for the order - plus they go around a corner. I do like having them in a straight line as it seems more logical for a newbie.

I have the decimal point where you have it, but put the comma on the same key but on the green layer.

I put the comma in another place as well, where you have the zero. I forget why I did this (it is a relatively recent change), but I think I was typing something with a bunch of numbers separated by commas and found there was some awkwardness going to the green layer.

Here is a screen shot of my homemade chart:

When you see two characters on one key, the green layer character is on the right.

As you can also see, I put the math operators and some other stuff on the left blade as well. No special reason. Since I’m not used to a numpad, it presently just gives me another option. But I like some of the stuff you did there. I’ll have to think about which things will work for me.

Obviously there is some room on the main layer for more stuff on the left and lots of room for green layer stuff.

So, ignoring the fact that anyone used to certain placements may not like exactly where I put things, what do you think of some of the basic concepts?

It’s probably important to note that most number entries I do are using the alpha green layer. Having numbers so close to home has made an incredible difference to how easily I can strike them correctly and with confidence. No more hunt and peck for numbers.
I came from a background of using the number pad on a full size keyboard so I agree, placement of the 0 and . is not quite where my fingers expect them. I’m getting used to it though I have considered moving them to a similar position as you.
Position of + and - relative to each other is similar to the alpha green layer, + on the left and - on the right. That’s how I remember it anyway.
I like that you’ve made use of the num green layer here to store some extra symbols. I haven’t had use for that yet but I think it’s a good addition. I take that they are positioned based on frequency of use?

The left Blade has space for some commands that I want to include but haven’t decided on an order for them yet:
Ctrl-D duplicate whatever is above.
Ctrl-R replicate whatever is to the left.
Alt-= Auto sum. Include blank cells on right to sum rows.
Ctrl-[!,@,#,$,%,^] Format numbers
Ctrl-* Select all of current table
Ctrl-+ Add new cell/row/column
Ctrl-Shift-; insert current time, Ctrl-; insert current date
Ctrl-Shift-L Filter table on and off

I’ll start with the ones that require more effort like Filter table (last item). Just not sure how I’m going to remember positioning. Might be good for these to live on the green layer and sacrifice symbols as I have little call for them.

Good to know my ideas aren’t too crazy!

My reasoning for the order of the math operators may be odd, but it went like this:

Add and subtract are simpler constructs than multiply and divide so I put them first. And, to me, addition is easier for young kids to comprehend then subtraction so I put the addition first. To be consistent, that makes multiplication come before division. Now, my view on these things may not be accurate, but they don’t have to be. They merely have to match how I think of them since it is to help me remember where they are, not someone else!

I didn’t set the extra symbols on the green layer with a lot of thought - at least not enough thought to remember why for most of them! Looking at it now, the top row is a mirror image of the normal home row green layer on the left (had to move it up because the math operators are more important to have on the home row).

On the bottom row, I figured parenthesis is common enough that it would be best to have them under the index finger. The power of and square root seem related to me, like addition and subtraction are, so I put then next to each other. Having room for another on the green layer, I just stuck the “?” in there.

You list of various ctrl and alt key combos is very interesting because they are things I never really got into, so never used, which means I didn’t even remember they exist! I may have to look at using some of them, since it is so much easier with customization. But I’ll need to see which ones work with Numbers. I have Excel on the Mac and iOS, but I really don’t use it. Some of yours don’t seem to work with Numbers - though maybe there are alternatives. Only checked the first two. ctrl-D and Ctrl-R don’t seem to do anything on my Mac. So I have some experimenting and research to do on these things.

As for organization, that can be tough. Ctrl-D and R seem related to me so I’d naturally have them connected in some way. Formatting numbers for the most part might be best to leave in default positions on the home row. You don’t have room for the ^ symbol, but right off the top of my head, I’d probably put it on the T key. I mean, it is still grouped logically and the ^ symbol looks like an upward arrowhead so I put it “up” above the rest. Alternative would be to put it on the home key on the far left if you really wanted them in the same row.

No idea yet how I’d do the rest.

BTW, those various combos, if merely different on Numbers (as opposed to not even existing) shows another advantage of the TB - you can have a layout for use with Excel and another with Numbers with each on its own jump slot.

I added the shortcuts to the green layer of Number lock using their respective symbols but including a modifier. You can see these as the lighter green colour in the map below.
I did not bother with the formatting shortcuts. I’m more likely to access those from the Alpha layer anyway.

To recap:
Ctrl-D duplicate whatever is above
Ctrl-R replicate whatever is to the left
Alt-= Auto sum. Include blank cells on right to sum rows
Ctrl-* Select all of current table
Ctrl-+ Add new cell/row/column
Ctrl-Shift-; insert current time, Ctrl-; insert current date
Ctrl-Shift-L Filter table on and off

Time and date because they are both on semicolon, I’ve split these between ; and : respectively.

From my research, it seems Numbers doesn’t have a lot of this stuff.

I find that I rarely type one handed, and the number keys are easily reached when they are just one row above the home row keys. Since I prefer the VI navigation keys, that makes for a convenient NUM LOCK mode for Excel. Here is my current map:

The Page-Up and Page-Down keys have CTRL modifiers so they advance to they next/previous sheet.

2 Likes

The history of customization on the TB has changed a lot over time. We couldn’t always edit every layer. Or every key in a layer. Even now there are a few things that can’t be changed (very few), but this may change.

So, I thought I’d get some ideas about one of those keys we can’t edit now, but maybe can in the future.

I never use the right shift key. I take advantage of the sticky ability so I always use the left shift. Now, if you use both, it is probably best to keep doing that, but I know others who only use one shift key.

If they make the shift keys editable, how would you change the one you don’t use?

More liberty and generality in the keymap editor is already on the wishlist.

It’s part of the enhanced infrastructure we’re working on right now in the background.

4 Likes

I would really love it if I could export it as a JSON document or other text-based document like that, then make bulk changes and re-import it.

4 Likes

It would also be nice to exchange layouts, but not just the total layout - be able to also specify certain layers. Like a checklist for each and you just tap each one you want to transfer. Then when you put it in another device, you chose what existing layout you want to add the changes to (default or a previous custom layout) and it only replaces the layers you are transferring.

That way, if you had a layout you liked, but then decided you liked the way I set up my Numbers layer, you could just transfer that part to you custom layout.

2 Likes

awh_tokyo - great suggestion.

A portable format that can be exchanged with general purpose editors will provide lots of convenience for managing custom maps.

3 Likes

And if a single map can have alternates specified by either jumps, or even just OS types, that would be great as well. So mac jumps would have function keys, while my phone maps would have, I don’t know, something else.

I understand you can do this now by maintaining distinct maps and uploading different maps to different jumps, but this is cumbersome and error-prone.

Just for fun, here is my num layer, optimized for doing NYTimes kenkens. The 0, +, and - on the left side have cmd to change the size of my safari window:

Can you expand on this? I’m having trouble seeing how it would be less cumbersome and less error prone than maintaining a separate map for each OS (or whatever other customization).

Hmm…one easy way to enable this is to go back to the JSON idea above. The numlock layer, for example, could be defined as an ‘alternates’ set that contained a tag for each for each jump or OS. The these tags would each be bound to a version of the numlock layer for that jump or OS.

Obviously it would be better to have this integrated into the app, but it would suffice for hackers (like everyone on this forum) to specify the right thing.

Other layers, such as ‘green’, or shift-numlock, would be the same across all jumps/os’s.