Layer/ Operating System Configuration for Jump Desktop

Using Jump Desktop on iOS is a great way to gain freedom from lugging around a notebook or other main computer.
Paired with a SwiftPoint GT and TextBlade gives a full featured experience.
https://jumpdesktop.com

With a bit of conversation recently around an emacs use case I wanted to weigh in with Jump Desktop.

One of the things a little tricky to get used to are OS level shortcuts required. Some of these clash with the iPad’s native shortcuts and actions on TextBlade will not behave the same as connected directly to the target machine.
Main points:

• App switching
  • Spotlight

I may not have explored things thoroughly enough to encounter problems, but when I use my iPhone to connect to a Windows machine via Jump Desktop, I use a separate jump slot whose OS is set to Windows.

If you used a separate jump slot with the appropriate target OS, would that address this issue? (I realize that it requires dedicating one jump slot for this purpose.)

Windows is mostly ok.
iOS to MacOS is what caused my concern as they share OS level shortcuts, e.g. Command-Tab

I did a test run today with a custom map for Jump and connected to the iPad through a unique slot.

Most keys are easy enough to customise in a Map (ESC on the Edit layer an exception - can’t be altered).
I didn’t bother with custom combinations required for Function keys (e.g. Shift Option 1 for F1) as this was just a proof of concept.

I believe it would be more useful to have Jump Desktop as an Operating System choice:

• Wouldn’t have to maintain multiple custom maps independently
  • Would be able to use TextBlade regular keys (1 shows in place of ESC for me currently)
  • Would be able to use default mapped key assignments (Edit, Media and App layers) e.g., rather than having to find every instance of ESC and altering it to be CMD Shift 1

Until OS or Maps may be hot-swapped independent of Jump slot (post General Release I understand) I need a slot for each Virtual Machine that I connect to.

Cool idea gmadden. A ‘virtual OS” menu item for Jump Desktop would then make the config portable across all the scenarios you access via Jump Desktop.

We can spawn as many OS variants as we want, that’s all managed in the cloud.

Thanks for that suggestion.

:+1:t3:

3 Likes

I’m in the same boat as gmadden, and I really Ike this idea - it would be an ideal way of dealing with this scenario.

1 Like

I usually connect from Android to Windows through RDP/Teamviewer. Since Alt+Tab is a shared shortcut in these systems, I currently use a remapped combo for app switching. I’m looking forward to introducing TextBlade to the party. Virtual TB OSes really seem like a great idea here.