iPad Pro + Textblade = one system to rule them all?

For the rolling issue, I add something like this to my Wacom pens that roll:
Then I can hook it to the aforementioned “pen loop” that I affix to my case.

Some other things I like about the Wacom, I often replace the plastic nib with one made of hard felt and it gives me that “draggy” paper feel. Second, I like the variety of pens available, everything from heavy weighted, to fountain pen, to BIC like pens, to tiny ones that fit in phones.
I have almost a dozen of them. Most tablet PCs for the past ten years have used the same pen technology. So, if I search hard enough, I can find a “discard” on Ebay for a few dollars. Finally, I like how you don’t have to charge it or don’t need an AAAA battery (although you pay for it with more device battery usage required to power the digitizer)

One thing I don’t like is, depending on the pen and device, you might get an offset between tip and display that is large enough to be annoying.

From what I’ve been told, the Pencil is pretty good, and it will be interesting to see what the next iteration brings. Hopefully that will force Wacom to step up their game.

I happen to much prefer it this way, even possibly over a traditional pen. But we know that there are tons of pens and pencils to fit almost every writing style and preference.

For a good bit of time, I had a matte screen protector on the iPad, so know that you can change it to feel more rough on the paper if you find it too slippery now. Don’t remember which exact one I had, but it was great.

I can definitely get it to roll off a table if I try, but if I just plop it down on a desk or whatever it seems to be weighted funny such that it picks a side and doesn’t roll easily.

Ah, yes. I think I heard of this, called parallax, I believe? None of that on the Apple Pencil. But sometimes, because the point of the Pencil is white, if you’re writing on white screen, it could be a little off putting.

It’s excellent actually. And it better be, after paying almost $1200 for everything - iPad, Pencil and all the nick nack accessories for it. And I’ve already spent a couple of Benjis on apps, and probably a few more in the next 6 months. It’s becoming quite expensive to regain that primitive urge to write by hand. But I think it’s all worth it. I now feel complete :smile:

I have matte screen protector on my iPad mini retina. Got it from online place called bestskinsever.com. Yeah, cheesy name, but it’s held up great for two years on it. No finger smudges, no scratches, but you lose the glossy sheen. Highly recommended. And the Pencil feels great on it too. I’m thinking of getting it for the Pro, though I think a replaceable nib would be a better idea. Like a felt tip perhaps.

This is GREAT!!! Where have you been all my life??? What a find. Now I don’t have to dig out my Newton MessagePad. It recognizes my chicken scratch of handwriting. Brilliant!

S

1 Like

And if you look next time, the Apple logo always ends facing upwards. Its intentional. I too don’t have problems with it rolling off a table due to it being weighted.

1 Like

You know, I thought you were joking. But you’re right. I’ll be damned.

S

2 Likes

There’s a bunch of quirky Apple design features that don’t leap out at you.

1 Like

I also think the iPad 9.7 Pro with the apple pencil AND the TextBlade make a neat little package to get real work done on the go.

Especially when you want to use the pencil and the keyboard. In this use case I prefer to use the iPad with the lower cover position. With the apple smart keyboard you can use the iPad only in the more vertical position.

I hope the TextBlade will arrive before my vacation in July (Fingers crossed).

I am trying out my iPad Pro (12.7 inch) with the TB+pencil and finding it works well (although at time I would like a third hand to hold the pencil while typing). I am sure that the smaller iPad Pro with the pencil+TB will be even more suitable for mobile use.

For a stand I earlier this week acquired the plinth (from myplinth.co.uk) and found it seems to live up to its claims of being both small and light when ‘closed’ (it would easily fit in a top pocket of your shirt) and holding the iPad securely in a variety of positions when ‘open’. It is good enough that I have ordered another one already!

1 Like

Your situation is strikingly similar to mine. I’m due for vacation (island hopping in East Asia) in August. This year, I’m looking forward to ditching not just my laptop, but also my camera. The camera on the iPad Pro is phenomenal! As a non-photographer who still don’t know his way around a DSLR, I did some tests and I took much better pictures with the iPad.

I could almost imagine myself traveling with just one tiny bag (containing iPad, TB and few accessories), since I often buy clothes and toiletries at local shops anyways - a few inn keepers at a small village even provided us with some. Fancy that. The only other stuff I’d have to carry is the five suitcases my wife will bring along :smile:

S

6 Likes

Are you using it mainly for work or play, or perhaps both? For me, despite the smaller size, I’m finding more and more I could use it for serious work, and it’s plenty enough for play, and with my Sennheiser immersive even. Hopefully there’s a BT headphone that provides good audio, I’ll be all over that.

After seeing some photos by @Megapode , I was surprised by how small the plinth was. Even shorter than the TB? That’s crazy. I’m getting one.

S

1 Like

Actually when folded it is almost exactly the same length as the TextBlade (in the Nanostand) and about twice the width. Weight wise they are nearly identical at just under 2 oz although somehow the plinth feels lighter (probably something to do with it being less dense). I must admit that when mine arrived it ended up being smaller than I had expected (in its folded mode), while still opening up to support even an iPad Pro 12.7" securely in both portrait and landscape.

1 Like

I ended up ordering a Plinth just because of this thread.

I’m about to too. Someone here should get a commission, or coupon.

1 Like

I ordered one also!

Ugh, this whole iPad experience is becoming quite expensive - for a tablet, that is. I’ll show you mine, if any of you can show me yours…

Hardware:

* iPad Pro 9.7" (Rose Gold, 256GB) => $900
* Apple Pencil                     => $100
* Gumdrop case w/pencil holder     =>  $70
* Waterfield Travel Express bag    =>  $80
* Moxieware Apple Pencil Magnet    =>  $17
* Matte screen protector           =>  $18
* Plinth portable stand            =>  $25

Total: $1210 + $100 (tax) = $1310

A few of the above are redundant, and I may return some of them. But just in case…

Apps:

* Prompt          =>  $8
* Coda            => $10
* Ulysses         => $25
* Textastic       => $10
* Pythonista      => $10
* Editorial       => $10
* Keynote         => Free
* Numbers         => Free
* MS Word         => Free
* OneNote         => Free

* Procreate       =>  $6
* Notability      =>  $4

First set is what I’m finding myself using for work on a regular basis, with latter two mostly for fun, along with another ~$100 worth of games. All told, it’s put about $1500 dent in my wallet. What’s your usage looking like?

S

1 Like

I understand your pain. iPad (and all Apple products tend to be on the $$$ side). Don’t get me wrong, I have and iPad 3, iPhone 6, and Macbook Pro 2009. And frankly, the way I save money is by waiting for specials on physical products (screen protectors, etc…) and for Apps. I don’t remember the last time I bought an app full price. I think I got procreate for about 2$, I have NotesPlus got it for 6$ instead of 10$. You get the drift. I’m reluctant to buy a full priced app. I think the only apps I paid full price were medical related app for my Ph.D.

Though, I did have a question since I’m updating my iPad 3 to an iPad Pro next week. How do you find the matte screen protector? Do you find it affects display quality drastically?

I always liked the matte protector on my iPad mini retina because you don’t get any finger smudges. It does reduce the glossy sheen of the glass screen a lot, but I actually prefer that because, at the same time, it reduces glare equally as much. On top of doing a pretty good job of protecting the screen.

But the main reason why I’m getting it for the iPad Pro is so I can have some friction when I use the Pencil. For me, it’s too slippery to write. But if all I’d do is write, I suppose I could live with it. But I’m looking to rekindle my interest in drawing and sketching, and for that I think some friction is a must. I tried doing some mock drawing and writing on the iPad mini, and it felt so much better and probably more accurate.

S

I understand what you mean. I used to have a matte screen protector on my iPad. I mainly use it for note taking with an Adonit Jot Script. It worked flawless up until one day my wife scratched the screen protector so bad that writing on it became frustrating. I switched to a glass screen protector and I have to admit, I prefer the way the Jot script slides on it. The one aspect I hate is the glossiness the glass protector gives (although it was advertized to reduce reflection and what not).
I’m a sucker for screen quality and I read that uaing a glass screen protector with the iPad Pro affect light reflection drastically. Didn’t read much about matte screen protector aside from people emphasizing the almost realistic paper to pen feel you get.
I guess I’ll see when I get my new iPad.

Much appreaciated though @sosurim.

If it helps in the future if you get another iPad the apps are tied to your Apple id, so you can re-install them on anohter iPad for free.

If you have Coda you don’t really need Prompt - the Prompt app is “built in” to Coda.