I agree that that it would be better, once they know they can't make a given estimate, to not wait to update it. But I don't know if there is an ideal way to approach it. For example, if two months in they know they can't make it, do they just say Q2 - which would actually be four months away before it is over? Or give another 3 month range, but would actually cover part of two different quarters?
I've been trying to figure out the best approach and don't think there is one. One possibility would be to say, "If no new problems show up and we solve existing problems as soon as we think we can, then it will be another month, but since we know we've gotten so many surprises before, it is more likely two months and could be more - so we are presently estimating 3 months."
You could still have the old monthly updates which could keep pushing it out as much as 3 months (or more for that matter), but within that 3 months, we'd have some idea of progress with how they describe the possibilities. They might say it will be at least 2 months, for example.
They could also fill in some details on progress that could be, "We haven't had new problems for a month, but there the connection problems with bluetooth have been hard to solve."
To me, knowing new problems are not arising would be a big deal.
As for shipping this quarter, granted, it always seems bad because of all the other misses, but while I'm well aware of that, I prefer to look at what is possible.
I don't think they must have the Android app - because they previously said it would be 1-2 months after iOS version was done. Of course, that was based on shipping long ago. In all this time, they may have moved forward on it and have it close enough to decide to ship when it is done as well. I think what would be more important would be to simply have a way to do OTA on android.
The emails with a 2 week lead time seems about right to me. A lot would depend on how many units they can ship right away. If (and I doubt this would be the case) they had enough ready to go to cover the first 4 months of orders, they could sent out an email today and if they get a response the same day from someone in that first 4 month period, ship out right away. Don't need to wait the two weeks because they would not actually be skipping over anyone because those 4 month worth of orders would not be shipped to anyone else.
Don't know if they state all the things they fixed in advance. They could, but it really wouldn't be necessary. That could follow at any time.
So, back to possibilities, we can hope that the bluetooth issue is the only thing and will be in the hands of testers very soon. Let's say this week. Besides the testing WT has probably already done, the treg testers deal with it for a week and it is successful for another week. That brings us up to March 19th and they send out emails that day. Which could mean shipping could be by March 20th. No, not likely. Just possibilities. But that still leaves 11 more days to make it.
Wish I knew a LOT more about what is going on. My "possibilities" is limited to the little we know about problems. That doesn't even get into the matter of manufacturing in large numbers, etc.