How fast are you?

What is your typing speed & accuracy?

(and where did you test. I find online typing tests vary at least 10wpm in difficulty)

Will be interesting to see how people’s speed maps onto Textblade and how that ramps as you learn the new footprint, layer use, etc.

Having switched to Colemak in Sept last year I’m around 50 - 60wpm now. I thought I had caught up to my qwerty speed but now realize I’m probably still 10 or 15wpm behind. I’m a little sloppy on accuracy too, wobbling between 92 - 98% from test to test. FWIW I always correct all mistakes as I go, some tests allow you to ignore and carry on which seems pointless & inflates speed.

WPM / Accuracy (Test)

50 / 95% http://play.typeracer.com/
60 / 95% http://www.speedtypingonline.com/typing-test

Hmmm, I just tried Typeracer a little. Immediately found I didn’t like the system since you don’t know you made an error until the word is done! I was using speedtypingonline which immediately shows any missed letter right where you are typing - so more like you would see it when typing a letter.

With it, you can continue when missing something. I like that option for the occasions when I don’t happen to notice the mistake until well into the next word. In those cases, I would gave gone back to correct it later in real usage. When I see the mistake right away - which is most of the time - I do correct it. The program gives you your raw speed as well as your “real” speed based subtracting for errors.

On that site I have generally been upper 50’s to low 70’s with, usually, errors corrected as I go. Occasionally with an accuracy of 95% or better if I don’t correct everything.

On your site, I was in the 40’s and kept typing past the error and had to go back far more spots to correct it. Sometimes even more than a word!

I’ll mess with it some more to see if I can adjust to how they do things, but so far I don’t like it.

I’m at work so I just did one round of Typeracer. I may do more later because it’s been a while since I have tested my typing speed. FWIW, I also type on Colemak and made the switch three or four years ago (I think?).

Anyway, I got 85 WPM with 97.1% accuracy.

I only mention Typeracer because it is apparently popular.

10fastfingers also seems popular despite also having to type in a box away from what you are reading so typing semi blind. I also dislike how you can’t go back and correct a word once you have committed it with the spacebar.

I agree SpeedTypingOnline has the nicest interface of the many I’ve seen since you both read and type in the same location. Not many have that “over-type” interface. Needs a wider corpus and recorded history of results.

I tried several online sites and averaged between 80 and 90 wpm.

some of the sites I tried:
typing-speed-test.aoeu.eu/

http://10fastfingers.com/typing-test/english

1st try at typeracer – 67 wpm @ 99.1% – got 1st place among the five racing. Woo hoo!

I don’t really type a lot, in a transcription sense. Mostly composing emails & blocks of code – spending more time thinking than typing. I’m pretty efficient in vim, though.

10fastfingers seemed better to me that typing test because as soon as you hit a wrong letter, the word changes to red - so you don’t finish the word before finding out you have to go back and figure out how far! I don’t like how the words are random though. I think it makes more sense, usually, to be typing logical sentences. It makes it easier for me to keep the flow going.

Getting used to the different options so here are my results from a few minutes ago:

Typeracer (don’t like because you can’t tell you goofed until the word is done which can really hurt your score since you can’t just continue on): 53 wpm 98% accuracy.

Speedtypingonline (best system, but seems limited in text to use): 65 wpm 96.9% accurate - all errors fixed as I typed. This score seems to fit pretty much in with what I usually see.

10fastfingers (don’t like the random words rather than normal text patterns) - 71 wpm but didn’t see anything about accuracy. I felt the words this particular time seemed to suit me well so this is probably on the high side.

It sure seems like you type faster than that :wink::sunglasses:

These tests are interesting, but the problem I see with these tests is that the text you choose is extremely influential. While one is a bunch of words, the other has mentions to gods names or any other unusual words, not to mention a completely caps free text is much faster to type.

Anyway, for the entertainment, still on qwerty :blush:: 83wpm 99%

Typeracer: 73 wpm and 95.3% accuracy
Apple wireless keyboard

Just to help prove my point on how influential a text can be, using Books: 96wpm 99.4%

Interesting test, definitely sometimes you get “in the mode” and sometimes it slows down a bit.

103wpm, 98.5%

I’ve found that http://typing-speed-test.aoeu.eu is good because it’s real words, but it gets rid of the changes in source text that make the other ones so variable. Been my favorite so far. I think it also lets you remap to other layouts (without changing your system layout). Just got 108 there, but it seems to be much more consistent. I also like how it handles errors.

Completely agree. The most tricky I’ve seen demanded a lot of tricky punctuation & layout, my speed was halved.

Most of the most common ones out there see a 20% variability for me.

1 Like

Around 80wpm with 97% accuracy on Typeracer for me using an Apple wireless keyboard and Colemak. Really variable depending on the specific text though.

This is my typing speed chart on http://keybr.com, from when I started learning Colemak in June last year (x-scale is per test, not chronologically). I’d say my average typing speed is in the 50s with peaks to 80s.

The purple line is the “abstract score”, basically how many mistakes you made. The peak is when I started using “sudden death mode”, where I restarted the test every time I made a mistake. It allowed me to practice words a bit like piano phrases, but it was too tedious so I stopped.

This is also all done with the TextBlade layer layout (via Karabiner), but of course keybr doesn’t test symbols and cursoring.

I have a chart for qwerty too but it is not very useful because I was practicing symbols (on qwerty) and my chart is all over the place. It looks like I’m at the same speed as with qwerty now, but I seem to remember being more accurate.

Here are my most errored keys:

As you can see, the ones at the extremes of reach have the most mistakes.

So my expectation is that with the TB I will first make more mistakes due to overshoots, and as I learn the size I will hit the keys that I want to hit more often and thus my accuracy and speed will increase quickly.

Interestingly, here is a heatmap of the keys I typed:

Compare with qwerty and you see that qwerty favors the top row:

3 Likes

I just tried this Typeracer website and got 103 wpm at 99% accuracy. It actually asked me to certify that I am not a robot by asking me to type another set of text that was in Captcha format. This was typed on a QWERTY Apple wireless keyboard.

(I know I’ve said this before: for me, no need to go any faster. Way faster than I actually need :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Just tried that site - very annoying! Besides the symbol used for space, instead of, you know, just as space, if you type a wrong letter, the cursor stays in the same spot. In the real world, if you make an error, you would have to back delete and retype it. Since it doesn’t move the cursor, when you naturally backspace, now you are one spot earlier than expected. You type the correction, but in the wrong spot, so now you have goofed again. Lots of nice things there, but that kills it for me. Sure, I could probably adjust to the cursor movement issue, but they I’d be creating habits that hurt real world typing.

Ah yes, that site is more meant as a keyboard tutor than a speed test. However, in settings under miscellaneous you can choose to let mistakes move the cursor.

Even then it’s a bit weird because once you type a mistake, everything after that is also marked as a mistake, and you have to clear it all. Good thing that on the TB, the backspace key is so close :smile:

A nice thing is that you can configure it to pick up texts to type from wikipedia, which means you learn something while you type…

That annoyed me because it would only show you about half of a sentence or paragraph before moving on to the next thought. So I kept on wishing to learn more about something but couldn’t!