How easy is the refund process?

I ordered Feb 2016, and I really held on as long as I could hoping this would appear, but it appears the company wanted to see if they could make it, made a few, then for some reason do not want to release.

Its over 4 years for me, many are at over 5 years, ridiculous and no updates in ages,

So I would like a refund, trouble is my payment card is no longer used, and my telephone number has changed, only my email is the same, so how do I get a refund, I do not want to start the one in the ordering page in case it tries to refund to my original card.

If this ever gets released, I will buy, but until then, I think it will only be vapourware now. Very sad.

I had the same issue, and I was in the exact same boat… 4 years is way too long. I remember being excited to buy a product I thought already existed, based on a video I saw on a ferry to Cozumel while on vacation… I ordered two, thinking I’d give one to my brother for Christmas that year because he was going on a trip soon, and it seemed great for travel. Yeah, sorry bro, didn’t arrive in time… I’ve read posts over the years about people who freakin’ retired waiting for this thing, and no longer have a need for it… that’s pretty special.

iirc, I tried using the refund page, it failed out, and I emailed support. They called me back about a week or two later(? I just remember writing it off in my mind as “never gonna happen” and out of the blue one day I got this call)… and the guy spent probably 20-30 minutes on the phone with me. Not a very expedited process (par for the course)… he went on about covid and riots in L.A. and about how they’ve got patents and venture capital and the interested parties want to ensure that the initial release is rock solid because it’s such a disruptive technology… I guess that’s understandable, but man… a dude retired! Probably some people have died waiting for it! Anyway, he was super chill, super nice, very empathetic, good to talk to, but I felt like I was probably talking to a higher-up dude who shouldn’t be wasting his time with little old me.

…and then he got my current card info, and refunded my card. Legit.

I also told him I’d re-order as soon as they released an actual product.

3 Likes

WayTools is working very hard on TextBlade, and very few people will ever (need to) know the level of engineering that goes into TextBlade.

I may be misquoting the great designers, but many products betray their quality. You can try to hide poor quality behind a shiny exterior, but people will know.

Of 2 kickstarter projects, I could find fault the moment I got them.

One battery bank looked nothing like its slick 3D render and was almost twice as bulky. Even excusing this obvious betrayal, the charge management was terrible so it would drain on passthrough charging even though my PD power supply more than 3x beyond adequate for the draw. Afraid I won’t be taking that one on a trip, because we have to be able to trust our equipment.

Another was a PD charger (strangely by the same company as the above battery), and it emitted a high pitch squeal when plugged it in. With no load whatsoever it had a repeating ticking noise. Their expertise is in cables. They needed more time to gain knowledge in batteries, charge management, and chargers!

For comparison, SlimQ, a project on Indiegogo, is by far my favorite charger. Proof that you can beat Apple if you try. Liking mine so much I ordered one for mom. They announced a 100W version and I jumped on it right away (3 on order!). In spite of what anyone else says, SlimQ makes the smallest 65W charger on the planet. I reported other projects making such claims on KickStarter but their response betrays their lack of ethics.

You can usually tell right away if something in hand is great. You can tell its quality. People may put a slick shell on a bad charger, but you can hear it (and if it burns out, you can smell it). Even if they hide that, some engineer somewhere will pick it apart and show how dangerous it is, how there isn’t enough separation between the high and low voltage sides, or that its output looks like a corn field in an oscilloscope.

I will say the TextBlade is by far the best keyboard I have ever used. I’ve touch typed for over 30 years now, and have tried many keyboards. Every time a colleague buys a fancy keyboard I ask if I can try it.

No keyboard has ever left me as wowed as TextBlade.

I don’t buy many things (I do need batteries, and I do need chargers), but what I do buy I never go cheap on.

I’m not easily fooled. I “called it” the moment I touched the 2015 Retina keyboard. I told everyone who asked me about MacBooks - skip this generation. Apple denied it, journalists tried to hide the elephant in the room, but no word-smithing could change my perception. I noticed a dramatic decrease in quality, and eventually the failure was too big for even Apple to hide.

The TextBlade is the most amazing keyboard I have ever used. And not to be arrogant, but nobody will ever put that level of effort into making a keyboard this good. There’s easier money to be made selling crap.

But I don’t want crap. I insist that tools I use all the time, be of quality and hold up.

And of course, so does WayTools.

The problem is that software is really, really (did I mention - really?) hard. Insanely hard. For example, why is iPhone so hard to replicate? 100% software. There are so many manufacturers who ape the size, shape, specs, screen, sometimes even putting in nicer screens, or more RAM. Yet their flagship phones are literally 1 year behind Apple’s, in measurable things like CPU speed, or app launch times, or image processing times, or battery life.

The magic sauce is… software! (Other than CPU speed, but you can argue the amount of time that went into the CPU design, profiling, simulation - that there’s more software in the design of the CPU than meets the eye.) Sadly I am not the only one to wonder if Apple has dialed down their aggression on quality. After all, if they can make the same money with less effort… because no one has caught up yet…

As a software developer who takes the time to write documentation, train new hires and coop students, and so forth, I still find it very difficult to explain software to the public. So now: I simply don’t try. Not that I don’t care - I just have 2 decades of painful failures. I just focus on delivering, and if the quality is good, they will never (need to) know the trouble I went through to deliver.

4 Likes

Are they? How do I know what they have been doing over the last 6 months? Have they been making a lot of progress or are they stuck at an insurmountable firmware problem?
Please tell me how you know that they are working very hard on the textblade at the moment or is this just speculation on your part, an unsupported assertion?

Linux4ever - yes, despite the shelter-in-place restrictions in these unusual times, we have software dev team reviews every day, and the team has made solid progress to releasing the new firmware infrastructure code.

Everything we’ve been learning by operating a fleet of hundreds of TextBlades in customers hands, is being integrated into this nexgen build. It may not be palpable before you get yours, but we think you’ll appreciate the advances, big and small, and also even all the subtle details we’ve responded to, and took the time to engineer to customers‘ wishes.

Your keyboard is the principal touchpoint to computing resources, so the intense usage really shines a spotlight on all the nuances that matter to users.

Well-crafted, care in the software details, makes a world of difference in the quality of the user experience. There’s no substitute for doing this work to get it right.

We’re grateful to all those who encourage us. No maker in the world has mounted a comparable effort, even after we proved the merits of this new paradigm in users hands. Instead, there have been surprising failures by big companies, followed by major retreats, even when they just tried to do modest tweaks.

Keyboards are very sensitive touchpoints that can be screwed up by even big brands. It’s kind of shocking to see the major flops that played out. But the widespread criticism shows that keyboards really matter to users. This field very much needs a passionate advocate to serve as disruptor, willing to do what the rest of the industry can’t, and won’t.

We have customer proof now, that our patented invention really works better. All the more reason to stay on mission, get this dialed-in, and into everyone’s hands.

6 Likes

usedtobeaninja - pls email us at ask@WayTools.com.

There’s buttons on your order status page that let you change address and/or card. Sending a credit to your new card is easy. Let us know if you want someone to help you by phone.

Thank you for responding. It makes me (and I am sure many other forum users) happy to hear this. I am really looking forward to the new firmware release and being able to get my hands on the textblade.

5 Likes

:+1:t3: