Filling in the grid!

I’m am NOT looking forward to this. I’ve made a chart which is almost entirely empty at this point which contains a number of (Apple) programs across the top and, down the side, all the various options WT lets you select from for customization - if in some way they look like left or right arrows or refer to “next” or “previous” stuff for movement.

I know there are some things on the Mac where two different instructions do the same thing or programs where she same instruction works differently. So it just makes sense to have a master list of, at least, the basic effects. Oh, and yes, later I’ll add the stuff for up and down movements but this is a big enough project for now!

If any treg testers can help me fill in the blanks, I’d appreciate it. Just make sure we are only talking about Mac programs for now - then we can find out how these things may differ on windows, etc.

This also does NOT include iOS devices since they can differ from Macs too. We’ll check any differences after this part is done as well.

Here’s the almost empty chart so far. Don’t assume anything! Actually test it before reporting in here or send me private messages.

Only checked the first four items and only on Numbers. This is just a slow process - and for a spreadsheet I have to check multiple situations. For example, select a whole and a key may do one thing, but if you have selected text within a cell, it will do something different. Usually related, but not always.

Notable observations: The “del rest of line” does nothing if you selected a cell. But if you are within text in the cell, it will delete from the cursor to the end of the text in the cell.

You might thing the “del line before cursor” would be about the same but in the opposite direction, but it isn’t. If you select a cell, this command will clear the cell contents. If you are in text, it is even stranger - it will delete the text before the cursor, but ONLY to the beginning of the line you are on (assuming you have wrapping active and the text takes more than one line).

Another interesting one is “prev word” and “next word”. When you select a whole cell, it will insert a column to the left or right of where you are!

As I put up images of my spreadsheet, I’ll probably delete older ones except the first. This may be hard to read, with my abbreviations or descriptions, but I haven’t had time to figure out better ways yet. I’ve done all the stuff that in Numbers (other than the up and down arrow and the page up and page down commands (Have to add them to my list).

A number of cells may say something like, “Clear cell/del character”. The key being the “/” character. What is said before it is when you have a whose cell selected. What comes after is what happens if you have placed the cursor in the middle of the text inside a cell. The cell I test the latter on contains 3 lines and I place the cursor in the middle of the middle line when testing a key.

I would help if only I was a TREG tester :frowning:

If you want contributions from the community why not make a Google Sheet of it and make it public so others could more easily add stuff

I’ve never made a google sheet.

Google Sheets For TREG Keyboard Mapping Testing

Have at it

Anyone can edit it so just basically just have people update this thing and you can create whatever headers you want or such

See if you can put in a good word for me to be a TREG tester wink wink :slight_smile:

Otherwise this should make it easier for others to contribute

2 Likes

Cool! I just glanced at it and looked around some menu stuff, but in the little time I had I couldn’t find headers stuff. If you could set row 1 to be a header row and column A to be a header column (and freeze them l) I can then go in and fill in those headers.

Row1/ColumnA are now frozen so fill them in as you see fit

In case you’re curious freezing a row/column is in “View->Freeze”

For what it’s worth, on the Mac you can configure absolutely any menu item to be any keyboard shortcut. So while this doesn’t work for things that don’t have menu items, if the TextBlade doesn’t give you the result you want, often you can change it around.

Good point. But for now I’ll stick with the defaults (assuming my Mac is using the defaults! It’s possible that at some point in the past I could have changed something!). So with this chart, people will have to tell us if they get different results.

I figure get it all done for the Mac and then people can copy the chart and edit anything that is different for Windows, iOS, etc.

Put in all I have so far - definitely messy! But at least the info will be available.

I made it a point to label Excel as being for the Mac and the 2011 version. If anyone has the newest one and is willing to go all through this, that would probably make a better default so if anyone wants the job, let me know!

One thing that testers may want to do is create a layout just for testing this. I have two slots for my iMac. One is for all my normal stuff. The other will usually be for when I want to use my media focused setup I posted here before. But for now I have this special testing layout for any weird thing I need to do.

You may notice that a sot of my spreadsheet is set up in groups of 6. This is because they are referring to the main layer key on the left (Q) for the first item. The next row is the same letter key, but with the space bar down (green layer). These two pairs are typically related - in this case, Backspace and Forward Delete.

The next two are for next letter down (A). First the main layer and then the green layer. Once again, they are related (Delete Previous Word and Delete Next Word).

Same with the next letter down (Z). So that usually gives us a set of 6 before I go to the next column of letters on the keyboard (WSX), giving me six more items.

So, if you are willing to take the time to change the contents of those two layers, it makes testing much easier - though still a big pain. At least for me.

I have, hopefully successfully, “protected” the first two columns since, hopefully, they are done. If you find an error (I found a couple as I was entering the info), just let me know so I can correct it.

DBK,

I have confirmed that I was only partially correct. My example in the other thread worked on my laptop when I was working from my laptop or remoted (remote desktop) to my work desktop which are both windows machines.

The original problem where I was remoting from my iPad Pro to my windows devices still have the problem. I am not currently able to use the same keystrokes to select to the end of a row or the end of the column with simple keystrokes. I do have the arrow keys working out of the gate.

When I have some time I will need to look at possibly mapping a custom keyboard map with the Windows template and use up two jump slots on my iPad, one for iOS and another for Windows when I am remoted to a windows desktop.

Of course this is speculation until I test it. Will let you know.

I am on my iPad today in meetings and am really unable to work in Excel while remoted since I can click esc by pressing space-tab since it doesn’t work. That is critical for me in these early days of TB since I sometimes don’t get into a layer correctly and then enter letters into cells accidently and then use the space-tab to undo the typing so I do not need to click undo since that is not working right now remoted into my desktop as well.

Let’s hope it is simply because I am using the wrong OS template while remoted into my desktop.

There are plenty of quirks to figure out. May be impossible to cover all possibilities with all the different systems. For example, if you look at the grid for the various commands I made:

(https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1psJm4WTxUs4OqrX6BUKTPvAECBe1gJZuzzmSTw4_yQ8/edit?usp=sharing)

You will see that if I press End of Doc or Beginning of Doc while playing music in iTunes, you’ll see in lowers or raises the volume! Not exactly that I expected!

Tlrogers - Confirm that if you use your iPad map and then send keys to a Windows Remote Desktop it’ll see iOS shortcuts instead of Windows shortcuts.

For example it’ll send command z for undo instead of control z, as is the convention in Windows.

You could just use the command modkey chord to do what you want, or you can set up a Windows profile on a jump slot as you planned.

2 Likes

This is sort of what I did. Originally I either had everything set to iOS (or maybe it was Mac - I forget). But then I adjusted based on the device I was connected to so I have 4 set to iOS and 2 set to Mac (same Mac but two different layouts. Love the versatility!

But I don’t understand some of the results I get, just doing the Mac stuff, with these various movement commands when activated in apps that they probably are not intended to be used with, but they still do something.

Come to think of it, it could be the same things happen with other keyboards, but I’m already overwhelmed with all the stuff I’m doing now.

1 Like

I’ve finished 3 programs and how the various TB movement commands impact them. I chose the three as representing different categories. For example, Numbers for spreadsheets, Pages for editing in text editor programs, and iTunes music representing all the various iTunes sections. Not that I expect all in a given category to be the same. I know they won’t be, but there may be a lot of similarities. This may make it easier for others to fill in parts of other apps.

(https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1psJm4WTxUs4OqrX6BUKTPvAECBe1gJZuzzmSTw4_yQ8/edit?usp=sharing)

1 Like

The other thing to remember is that your Remote Desktop software should really be translating this for you, given that the TextBlade has absolutely no way to know what’s on the other end as a remote host.

2 Likes

I finished the TextEdit category on the spreadsheet - mostly like Pages but not always.

Also, while you’ll see “X” meaning the key doesn’t do anything in that app, be aware that then dealing with the media commands like “Rewind”, I believe they still control iTunes regardless of that app you are in - but I haven’t actually tested that for everything yet. So the X just means it doesn’t do anything in the app the column refers to, but like is doing something with iTunes. I haven’t even tried to see if it will control other media apps yet as that isn’t a priority.

UPDATE: Completed “Notes” app as well and also did a lot of restructuring to make it easier to tell then the various text applications are the same. I only have one of those left (“Word” for the Mac - 2011). If someone has a newer version, it would be better to have that for our default on this grid.

1 Like

Just finished “Word” for the Mac (2011) so all the text editing programs I’m planning to check are done, thank goodness. Hopefully didn’t make any errors.

I’ve done some color coding for those four apps in yellow for the things that are the same for 2, 3 or all 4 so you can tell far more easily there the differences are.

There are 32 different commands I tested. 20 of them are the same for all four apps. 9 are the same for 3 of them thich leaves 3 that are only the same for two.

I think my next focus will be on the various itunes items (movies, tv, etc). The Excel spreadsheet - and spreadsheet - takes extra time because you have to test it then selecting the whose cell and also if you are only within the text of a cell. Pretty much doubles the work!

1 Like

Will do. Up in the mountains this weekend with minimal tech and even worse signal. Didn’t bring TB with me. Will be checking tonight or tomorrow night.