Elaborate on progress?

Referring to this:

This gives me the impression that you’re ready to talk about it?
Please give us an update @waytools. This is a fresh thread and we’ve been starved for new information for many months now.
Basic points that I’d like to see covered:

1. Is the firmware ready? If no, what’s pending?
  2. If yes, when will Treg shipping restart?
6 Likes

@waytools, anything?

1 Like

hrishi1379 - pandemic has been a bit crazy in Los Angeles, with > 18,000 dead now in LA.

But firmware team has been able to keep pushing ahead, working from homes on latest build.

Key focus area now is merging all the latest modules from each developer into the main build.

Currently working on resolving the typical compiler issues you see when merging a lot of new blocks of code that we have tested individually. We have also migrated everything to the latest compiler, which gives us some very useful new tools for QA and debug.

Somewhat tedious process to go through the migration and detailed merge reports, but the compiler tools are actually pretty good at identifying even subtle potential contentions. So new tools are quite productive, and make new code that is pretty rad-hard.

Will have more visibility on remaining tasks around end of month.

13 Likes

Thanks! It’s nice to hear some news.

:+1:t3:

That is fantastic to hear! Looking forward to an update on this in a couple of months.
Thanks for the update, stay safe and take care until then!

:+1:t3:

Thank you @waytools!

This is excellent news as a milestone, because merging the various modules is a substantively later stage of the process than making various progress in developing the modules.

It also seems to put in reach the time when all the modules are working together well enough for it to make sense to send builds to some of the more technically minded TREG users who can provide outside feedback alongside your specific QA and debug work.

3 Likes

Oh no, not those! More ordinary folks like me! Just kidding. I’d be quite happy even it it only went out to a few people - but ones we know pretty well. Like you, Verxion, etc.

For the same reason it was important when they sent out a unit to a reporter that was well known. It gave us the impression of someone OUTSIDE of WayTools itself.

So I’d be just fine if a few others got it and could report their experiences here. I don’t have to be one of them (though would love to be!).

Thank you for the compliment but I assume if they rank and choose a few of the most technically minded TREG members I wouldn’t be close to making that cut. Of course they might have other criteria or simply want a variety, and then all bets are off. :wink:

Best would be if all the existing Treggers - at least those who were reasonably active - got the new one. But just as I know many people just say they want GR, I know other things will come first - so I focus and getting those things completed that still show progress. Even a few getting a a new unit would be measurable progress.

Definitely will start with a few technically-inclined treg members, and then step up to a larger, more diverse contingent.

Variety is the spice of life :smile:

Call it tech-savvy, or just a magic touch - but dbk has quite the knack for finding subtleties.

In any case, the treg input is pure gold for validating general release.

New firmware also has much greater depth and granularity of diagnostic data, which will simplify and speed up debug.

The firmware differences are palpable.

9 Likes

We call it “He just pounds on the thing until he passes out or the TB breaks” :rofl:

Sounds like dbk will make the short list

3 Likes

I have never understood what it is but it seems like it is always the same persons who has trouble with software. Maybe they are just better at taking notes and reporting instead of just ignoring / trying again.

1 Like

It’s also a learned skillset on trying different key combinations, doing things out of the normal expected order, and generally trying oddball things to see if the software can survive the abnormal use. I’ve been to many meetings where someone says, “Anyone find anything else?” I say, “Um, yes.” And I get groans because they know I tried something odd! Ha, ha.

3 Likes

Well, part of it is my “Zork Tactic” - just keep trying things, even if they don’t always seem logical. At least once the logical things have been tried!

Of course, that comes after getting some hint of a problem and I’m just trying to find a pattern to it that is repeatable. That’s often the hard part as some problems appear inconsistently. So trying to find a way to repeat an issue means I use the Zork Tactic for that too.

I well remember, after having a wrong character show up occasionally that it was hard to get it to happen enough to capture the error.

Finally, I found if I just kept hitting certain keys over and over (4-5 taps a second), I could get it to mess up every time after some number of taps. That’s certainly not normal typing, but it did let me get repeatable results. First it would take maybe 25 quick hits. Then with updates, it went to 50, 80, 120 and finally I couldn’t get it to happen anymore. Which also meant I wasn’t getting the error in normal typing anymore either. And that testing of every key up to 300 times also showed a pattern of which keys were susceptible and a pattern of what erroneous character I would get. Some keys never messed up. Every update, I went through every key hundreds of times.

It was actually much like how I did programming or, more recently, looking at how to do something with a spreadsheet. I just kept going back to it, trying different things.

So @jMacRury is correct. A lot of it came from just pounding on the thing for many hours every day. Even when I put it aside to take a break, I was usually going right back to testing it within a few minutes.

Part of that was because I felt it was an obligation to do all I could as part of the Treg deal. But a LOT of it was that it was just so much fun to type on! It was very common that I’d just pick it up and start typing any random thing because I liked the feel so much. And also because I could now hit symbols and numbers that, with other keyboards, I had to stop and look.

@corwinjr is right too. Just trying different things (which is the heart of my “zork tactic”).

5 Likes

@waytools

Speaking of old errors with some characters, does the new firmware do anything to improve hot corners?

I used the emoji layout (adjusted to based on Dvorak - I would like to see an option for a Dvorak emoji instead of just querty!) so the left hot corner was “Command” and the right was “Emoji”. But the one key related thing that would occasionally still act up was the hot corners. Usually fine, but sometimes they seemed over sensitive to exactly where you pressed.

My most used TB recently got really bad about it so I suspect maybe some dirt/contamination in the space blade but I’m leary about trying to take that apart to try cleaning it, much as I’d like to see if it gets it back to normal. But I’m not particularly worried about that as it took years to happen. And, for now, I just use an older TB.

I’m more concerned about the “normal” situation, where it usually worked, but sometimes was too selective. Would definitely like to see improvement in that.

dbk - You are standing in front of a mail box.

That’s close, but details matter :slight_smile:

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

There is a small mailbox here.

BTW, I can’t be sure, but I may have been the first person to correctly finish the original Zork Trilogy (Zork III).

I remember I got to what seemed to be leading to the ending when I’d get surprising text on the screen. Forget the exact words, but maybe included something like “End of Session”. Which both seemed wrong, but also sounded like it could be their idea of a funny ending. I did a lot of researching and everything I read from others was that was the ending they got - and they didn’t talk like it was a bug.

But I wondered about it anyway and just kept trying things. Eventually just before that ending, I dropped every item I was carrying and entered the last place I got to before - and everything changed. Suddenly I got all this treasure and got the real ending.

Turned out that, at least on the Apple II, there was a bug. I found the details much later - that if you entered that room with an open container (like a a jar with the lid off, etc) it would get that bug. Of course, by dropping everything, I eliminated any possibility of having an open container.

So that’s my classic example of “zork tactics” - don’t just accept what others say and keep trying different things, often going to extremes (in this case, dropping everything) to see if anything changes.

I don’t recall the precise examples anymore, but I know there were two times I described a situation to Mark and he was confident he knew the cause, but I disagreed. It just didn’t quite match all I experienced. I just had trouble explaining things well enough, but I was pretty sure his interpretation was wrong. And, sure enough, later he told me I was right when his solution didn’t solve it.

If you ever talk to Mark, you quickly learn he knows a heck of a lot in tech so no way would my knowledge set come close to his. But I was the one actually experiencing the issue and paid close enough attention to realize there was some other factor involved, even if I didn’t know what the factor was!

It’s one of the reasons I never blindly accept what “experts” say - about anything! I’ll certainly value their input, but I can think for myself too. Basic principles: I know different experts will often have completely opposite opinions. I know people completely inexperienced in a given field have been able to take a fresh look at a problem and solve it when experts did not.