Dual Booting and TextBlade

Has anybody tried dual booting a device with internal bluetooth? Can you use a single slot on the textblade for both operating systems because they have the same bluetooth hardware, or do you have to have a slot for each because the BT ID is handled by two different OSes? I ask because I’ve ordered a shiny new Windows 10 tablet that I intend to put a better OS on in the form of Linux Mint.

I’ve been using Linux Mint on my main laptop for months now with no regrets whatsoever, but it’s an old laptop that doesn’t have internal bluetooth, so the universal dongle handles all that Bluetooth ID stuff.

Sorry if I misunderstood you but below is my point-of-view.

The “slots” aren’t really slots. They are actually new Bluetooth identities. It shall be possible to pair the same BT id with multiple units and as long as there is no conflict it shall work. When using dual boot, you won’t have a conflict so It shall be fine from my understanding.

You could use a single jump slot, but what you’d have to do is pair with the first OS, then copy the long term key over to the second one without re-pairing.

1 Like

wouldn’t using a single jump slot cause issues though unless you go into the TB app and change the OS each time you boot into the other one? Windows vs Linux keys.

Nah, the Linux and Windows keymaps are identical, I think. At least as far as I have used them.

I’ve done this on my Pi 3, so I can swap between OS images while retaining the same pairing. Let me know if you need more specific instructions for a Raspberry Pi 3 (or Pi Zero W) running Raspbian Jessie.

So you’re not using the Windows key in Linux, then? I guess that would be the only major key that is different whereas on a Mac that would be the equivalent of the CMD key.

Well, I have now actually had the chance to try it, using a dual-boot Windows 10 and Linux Mint. The TextBlade has to re-connect each time I switch which OS is booted–remove from pairing list, erase old pairing on that slot, re-connect. There might be a technically involved way to have one slot for two OSes on the same dual-boot device, but I just found it easier to use two slots. No issue with that method, I just have to remember to switch which slot the TextBlade is in when I boot to a different OS

It is not unexpected to need two slots when dual booting as the pairing is remembered at the OS level, not the physical hardware level (although I am not sure if this true for Macs?). Also when dual booting there may be different treatment of special keys or different keyboard language mapping, so you need to specify for each boot option (I.e. jump slot) both the target OS type and the keyboard layout it expects. Having said that I think Windows and Linux tend to use the same treatment of special keys.