I got the Laird Dongle finally working. It appears that the script generates quite a few miscellaneous errors and fails to complete most of the time. I am not sure when it actually worked, but at some point it was paired and put back in HID mode. I did not recognize this because I left the VM up so that I could experiment some more, and had switched to another Mac window to test it, which failed. So I learned that the VM keeps the USB port captive, so my test did not show that it was actually working. Shutdown the VM and it now works in any window.
I will do some more experimenting when I get a chance and provide feedback to the Dongle Team.
Typed on a TextBlade on a Mac.