ASETNIOP - 10 chording keys for 10 fingers

Saw this article about a software keyboard for typing on glass tablets (iPad, Android) -

https://newatlas.com/asetniop-app-tablet/52810/ -

which links to a website -

http://asetniop.com -

where you can play with the concept using a conventional keyboard in a browser window (click the TRY ME keyboard image).

For various reasons, it doesn’t work much with a TextBlade - the main reason being that you need a tenth physical key. The TextBlade only has nine - four on left, four on right, spaceblade. Also the TB wants to interpret most chords before passing them to the host.

But the concept is very interesting - it could provide for a hardware keyboard that is conceptually simpler and perhaps even smaller than a TB. Ten hardware keys wouldn’t require multitouch. It could also work without any hardware under your fingers, if some type of glove or rings could sense each finger’s press; i.e., it doesn’t really matter how you position your fingers, as long as you can play all the chords. You could be typing on a table or rock or your lap or even in the air.

The web-page demo is tricky using a legacy Apple bluetooth keyboard. Some of the three- and four-finger chords don’t register robustly, e.g. the “Devil’s Horns” chord (pinky and index finger of both hands) to switch between alphabet and numeric layers. Here are pictures of the ‘standard’ chords for these layers:

I haven’t yet seen how they handle special keys such as Control, Escape, Command/Windows, Option/Alt, etc. Might buy it for my wife’s iPad to play more.

Has anyone used this? There was a posting here about it three years ago, but I think the iOS & Android software keyboards have only become available very recently.

Interesting, though I think the biggest issue is much like the one I see for the TB - except far worse! That is, the adjustment period. With the TB, at least most keys are still in their expected positions. You mostly have to adjust to the different reach (which is actually easier so definitely worth the effort) and the symbols which sometimes require more than two keys. But even this involves less reach for many and most are simple matters of thumb and one key. I find using the thumb to be far easier than the pinky key to hit shift. So even in areas where an adjustment period is necessary, you can quickly see advantages so it is easier to work through it.

But this keyboard is going to involve a lot of adjustment - and it sure won’t have the feel of a good keyboard like the TB does. Does make me wonder if they made a hardware version, where the keys actually move like a good keyboard, how it would e.

Obviously it can be smaller than the TB, but on that matter, I don’t think it makes much difference. After all, the TB is already so small that does it matter if something is a bit smaller?

I would like to hear from people actually trying this thing and reporting on how fast they type, with accuracy. But I’d be more interested in how they do on a hardware version of it.

You can try it on your regular keyboard through their website, so you can see what it feels like with real keys.

I have the iPad app for beta testing, actually. You can get used to it pretty easily with training, but a physical keyboard is always better. I want to build a chorded keyboard, though. But no time.