Apple MacBook Pro purchase timing

I’m not sure. This is the cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YONKZ72/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_Fy-1CbEXKMN8E

Idea2go - That one is 30 Hz. It’ll work ok, but there’s some other options if the flicker bothers you.

The reviewers who couldn’t get 60 Hz were mostly Surface Pro users, so it might be different in combo with your MBP…

Try it out and see. We can send links for some active cables that guarantee 60 Hz if you notice any flicker.

1 Like

I saw something in one of the comments that the one he ordered only goes up to 1920 or something like that.

Second attempt - much gentler! And I was here to receive it.

No cable for my laptop yet, but it connects to my iPhone and runs the TextBlade app at 43" just fine!

4 Likes

At first blush the cable seems to work fine. Will push it harder later to see if there are some cases that flicker.

LOL at the default settings for both monitors, I have to get it just right for my mouse pointer to find it’s way back to my laptop screen due to the relative sizes. See screen shot!

That picture iconographically tells the story.

The difference in useable screen area is staggering.

Compared to what used to pass muster as a big computer screen, it’s now on a different planet.

Glad cable seems ok so far.

1 Like

Would it not be better to put it on the left or right corners, they are a lot easier to hit, that’s what I have done, just be careful if you have activated hot corners on the bottom of your screen.

1 Like

Just wondering, since I don’t know your exact usage , but while I used to use two screens (a 21.5 iMac and a 24 inch cunema display before it died), when I got the big tv, I set it up for two desktops. On each desktop, all windows are completely exposed and just clicking on an app switches to its desktop.

I also use a program call uBar that lists you open apps. I have it across the bottom and the Mac dock on the right side so I can do it either place.

That would eliminate moving the mouse from one screen to the other.

@MartynAS I try to set it up to match the physical relationship between the screens, so that when I do things like drag windows from one screen to the other it maintains the illusion of physicality. The funny thing about this is that back in my prior multi screen days (FYI I’m a recovering screenaholic, who has now dived back in after several years of abstinence) I used to do the same thing, then over time I would rearrange my desk and where my screens are kept, but I would keep the virtual screen arrangement the way I was used to even if quite different than the new physical arrangement.

@dabigkahuna If I understand correctly, you have several virtual desktops (on each screen?) and on each of those desktops you have a layout of various windows/apps needed for a particular kind of task you do. I think I have you wrong, because if true then how would clicking on an app take you to the correct desktop when that app might have windows living on more than one desktop? Or do you mean you have a desktop for Excel, another for Mail, another for web browsing, etc?

I only have one screen now. But it has two desktops to choose from. Each app is on one desktop only. Which is a reason why I use two browsers - so I have that kind of stuff on both desktops but with separate apps to avoid the problem you mention.

(content warning … this will be a bit philosophical and whimsical. But true for me since it’s how I think about things)

Interestingly, having a huge screen is tempting me in the opposite direction from where I have been going over the past few years.

In this big screen mode, I tend to think of cross-app “groupings” of windows. For instance on one virtual desktop I might have the mail app opened to a smart folder that just shows messages related to a certain project I am doing. And I might have a spreadsheet tile open, and a note from the notes app (you can double click to pop out a note from the app) and a focused todo list tile from my Things todo app, and a Chrome browser with tabs relating to that task, and maybe remote window into another computer. Then slide over to another virtual desktop for items relating to a different project. Of course I’m exaggerating in the number of different things on each desktop (usually!) but hopefully you get the idea. Then on my laptop screen I would keep a few general generic things always open such as my email inbox, slack, Skype, iPulse etc.

In recent years I moved away from this idea and started adapting a new way of thinking. I tried to have as much of my work as possible live in cloud or syncing apps or groupware. So I could leave certain things open on certain devices, or grab any device to read or work with something. The TextBlade is particularly enabling in this work mode because it makes all devices productive with the cross platform macros and jump capabilities. Also recent iOS has just (barely) gotten to the stage of being capable enough for this with it’s 2-1/2 way multitasking (split screen, plus a popover app allowed) and more ios apps being fully featured rather than crippleware. It also means when I travel my workflow is essentially unchanged, there are just fewer total devices around me. Typically an iPad and iPhone only. But all devices everywhere are just interchangeable “views” into my online world; all different shapes and sizes and combinations.

Now with this monster screen I wonder whether the pendulum will swing back towards a CPU centric workflow. I’ll let the chips fall where they may and see what I naturally gravitate towards because in this scenario instead of my workflow feeling the same whether I’m traveling or at my office, it would feel distinctly inferior because I would be without my predetermined “environment” and infrastructure.

1 Like

Idea2go -

An A-series Mac mini once available will make a compelling combo with the big screen.

So too will wigig with iPad Pro / iPhone.

What do you think of the quality of screen image?

And, do you think 4K Cinema video is rendering at full 60 Hz with the amazon basics cable?

@waytools

I just tried it out with a 4K version of the IMAX-worthy movie Interstellar and did the following three comparisons:

• Interstellar from the iPad TV app (downloaded), connected through an Apple lightning-HDMI adapter and an Amazon Basics HDMI cable I’ve had for a while
  • Interstellar from laptop iTunes (downloaded) using the new Amazon basic cable
  • Space battle from The Orville (“Sanctuary” fun episode!) streamed from Hulu using the TV’s native Hulu app (no cable at all)

Results:

• In all three cases I saw no flickering
  • Color quality and sharpness seemed great
  • No strange aftereffects from action and motion that I could notice

So as far as I can tell, the cable is up to the task.

Disclaimer: My last TV was an early 1990s Sony CRT model … maybe 25” huge and having a lot more unflat-screen depth and weight than width. It died around 2005 and since then I’ve cut the cord and only watched on computers / tablets. All of which is to say that it doesn’t take a lot to impress me for at home video.

Also with respect to the settings problems that @dabigkahuna encountered, for me everything was plug and play with no settings changes needed.

1 Like

It may be that somehow I changed something but that would be unlikely to be the case from the start. It is also possible I just had different default settings. Or that updates to macOS solved the problem.

Apple just announced SideCar to turn my fancy iPad into a Side Screen for my Mac. Fair enough I guess, although maybe a bit humiliating for the iPad to hide all its functionality and just be another display device.

What I really want is for Apple to make my iPad good enough that I need my Mac in less and less circumstances. (not spoken lightly, given my 35 years of happy Mac usage)

1 Like

Apple’s new 32" XDR monitor, all in ($7,000?) is about 25x more expensive than the very nice 43" LG monitor I purchased above for $280. My LG has 1.9x the display area and quite good quality in each of those square inches.

I know this isn’t an Apples to Apples comparison but the contrast is stark (both puns intended).

If you don’t want to spring for the full cost of this beast, you can just spend $1000 for the monitor stand to keep on your desk.

1 Like

My personal thoughts when I saw the VESA and stand pricing was that for the price of these monitors, the stand should be included, just select which one you want at time of order.

Charging for the stand seems to be really nickel and diming things.

2 Likes

Those are pretty big nickels and dimes.

3 Likes

I have been using DUET (3rd party sidecar) for years with my windows laptop, mac book pros to use my iPad pros as 2nd and 3rd monitors. Has been working great. understand that apple specific functionality makes it even more fluid.

2 Likes

I had bought the Luna Display - but I seemed to have lost it! It was plugged into my Mini, but when I was having some issues, I unplugged anything extra to narrow down the cause. As much as I can recall, I simply unplugged it and left it on the computer desk nearby, but darn if I can find it! Thought maybe it got knocked to the floor, but I can’t find it there either. If I did move it, there shod be very few places I may have put it, but darn if I can find it.

Well, that was weird. As I finished typing the paragraph above, I got a hunch about where it might be and, sure enough, there it was (on a shelf by my computer desk)!

I do wish I could just use it by activating the app on the iPad without having to also turn it on the Mac. But the latest update does seem like maybe it fixed one big issue.

It used to be that every time I activated it, I had to into the Luna app settings on the Mac, set it up to mirror, and set the display for the Luna instead of the LG. Kind of a pain, which I reported to them. I also told them about another app I read about (I forget which) that seemed like it would let you have different display settings for each app and switch automatically. I figured if an app could do that, surely the Luna display could do this. Seems like it is now, though I only tried it once.

1 Like