Another NaNoWriMo! (National Novel Writing Month)

National Novel Writing Month fast approaches, starting on November 1. Go check details and stuff out on NaNoWriMo.Org ! You can also see my prior post on the subject from 2017 Over Here

Now first, the fact that I’ve had my TREG unit ALMOST long enough to have it for three NaNoWriMos…wait, actually…I’ve had it almost long enough for FOUR NaNoWrimos, since I got this thing in December of 2016 I believe! So, that indicates to me that general release is something that needs to happen. As a Christmas present to everyone, @waytools ?

Next up! Anybody else going to try and churn out a bunch of story this November? Doesn’t have to be 50,000 words on one story, you can do a bunch of shorts, or poetry, or whatever you want, the point is more to challenge yourself and see what you can get done with a focused month of writing. I’m just wondering if any of you want to join my buddy list on the nanowrimo website, maybe so we can bounce plot ideas around at each other and ask for help and suggestions as needed. Send an invite to MercPrime on that site! https://nanowrimo.org/participants/mercprime

And, whether you’re typing on TextBlade or a legacy keyboard, whether you’re planning to novel or write poetry or just continue with life as normal this November, have a happy November, and happy Thanksgiving as well!

5 Likes

I really wish I was creative enough to participate in something like that…

I am super impressed by your dedication and results, Hermes!

Okay, November has finished, and that means that .t’s t.me for an update (and oan explanation of whyo sme of myo tyopiong loks strange)

First, the month of typing l.ke crazy wasn’t kind to my TextBlade. The rightmost big key (the one w.th enter and backspace) will gyve me random right shifts and o’s (they’re on what would be the ’ key in qwerty), struggles to do backspace and quest.n marks. Random enters are not unheard of. What should be my i key struggles between period and y (colemak, remember). There are a few other problems that keep coming up, mostly on the RightBlade. I’ve cleaned it extensively, and it doesn’t help. I’ve tryed adjusting the boundary settings and such on the problem keys, it doesn’t help or rather it w.ll seem to for a bit and then go back to not working.
I’m also getting the occasional problem where when I snap the blades together, the lights flash and it refuses to connect or type anything.

So, that’s the bad news, and if there’s anything weird .n my typing, nw yu knw why. If it was a typing miostake that IO made, IO fioxed it. IOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooof it was TextBlade, ooooooooooooooooooOI didn’t. (For the record, my finger wasn’t even touching the O key for those extra Os. It will keep typing O until I hit some other key that isn’t shift.)

Now for the good news.

• Pryor record: 340,721 New: 534,061
  • Time to 50k, prior: Day 5 New: Day 2
  • 100k, prior: Day 9 New: Day 5
  • 200k, Prior: Day 18 New: Day 11
  • 300k, Prior: Day 27 New: Day 17
  • 400k, Prior: Never! New: Day 23
  • 500k, New: Day 29
  • Prior best day: 15,047. New best day: 31,057
  • Average per day, Pr.or: 11,357 New: 17,802

I know that’s a lot of numbers, but for some comparison on what my finished product is like, “War & Peace”, the world’s longest published novel, .s 580,000-some words, and I’m reasonably confydent .t took a long time to write. > wrote 534,061 in a month, even with a bout of intestinal yssues that completely wrecked me for a few days, and a few days of writer’s block that tripped me up for some of the others. I think that my goal next year, w.th a general release TextBlade, is to beat “War & Peace” in a month.

4 Likes

Dude!!! :dizzy_face:

I sure hope you fixed all those typos before you published your novel. That would be QUITE the challenge to sell a book with all those mistakes. Ha, ha!

Over twice the rate for your single day record! That’s an impressive increase. If I recall correctly without looking at last year’s results, the pre TextBlade comparison would be astounding now.

@Corwinjr: Yeah, I fixed most of them, and I haven’t published yet. There’s a lot of revision that needs doing before this hot mess is ready for publication. Even if I hadn’t been fighting with my keyboard, or occasionally switching to a different one when things got really bad with the TextBlade, it would have been a mass of story churned out in first draft form in thirty days. Revision is needed.

(Currently only my old and faithful MoKo folding keyboard, because I consider it pretty much my second best. And, it’s normally a long ways behind keyboard #1, I.e, my functioning TextBlade, but with the TextBlade ailing, sometimes the MoKo pulls ahead, at least until I get fed up with it and try the TextBlade again)

@gmadden: Prior to getting a TextBlade, my record for total in a month was 156,000-some, and my peak day was I think 11,000. So yeah, TextBlade has made a bit of a difference, even when it was struggling in the last few days because I’d just walloped the snot out of it.

Oh, and that’s another thing. Prior times using the TextBlade for NaNoWriMo, the battery has lasted me about 2-3 days. This time around, it was lasting me about 1 to MAYYYYBE 2, with a pretty consistent 230,000-some characters typed in that time. (Keep in mind, that’s characters, not words, and that’s counting instant messaging, other typing that didn’t go into my novel, stuff I backspaced, and so forth. But yeah, more than 230,000 keystrokes per day.)

2 Likes

Hermes - that’s an amazing amount of characters per day.:open_mouth:

Re - battery life - it’s proportional to characters transmitted over Bluetooth link.

You might like how new firmware infrastructure incorporates some link improvements that meaningfully increase battery life.

This should benefit everyone, but especially the intense use-cases like yours.

4 Likes

Yeah I figured that the battery life would have to be related to usage, since it was so consistent–whether it took me 3 days or just one before I needed a recharge, it was always about 220-240,000 characters typed in that span.

I like the sound of that new firmware! Eagerly waiting to see that ready for download.

And also looking forwards to General Release, as always!!

The strongest correlation I have to battery life is time awake, usually 30 hours with a range of 40-50k characters over 5-7 days.

It’s possible Waytools had already mentioned this, but based on the roa you’re receiving and the number of characters typed too you experienced those issues, is there a way to compare that to a normal usage case?

I believe they have mentioned a normal usage case when developing the keyboard.

So, in other words, should I expect that normal usage would get me 3 years of use before replacing the keyboard? 5 years? 6 months? Just curious what your usage means for normal typing experience.

Based on what I’ve heard from @waytools, general release versions of the TextBlade will be much more durable in terms of the inks used for key printing, how long the key mechanisms hold up under the heavy stresses of typing, and all of that. That’s part of why they test, and why they gave test units to people like me, who are hard on tech, hard on keyboards, and also take good notes about how we break things and what we discover along the way.

There is something to consider in terms of the durability and what these things have to stand up to though. A legacy keyboard, each key is pressed for only one thing. You want an X, there’s only one key you press, and you only press that when you want X.
TextBlade, though, every key is doing multi-duty–Even JUST looking at alpha layer, each key does a MINIMUM of triple duty, and a max of 6x–and that’s just the alpha layer.
Now factor in the green, edit, select, media, and custom layers. Each physical key is doing the work and getting pressed as many times as a quarter of the keyboard on a legacy device. They have to withstand that many more presses, that much more wear and tear–and I think you’ll be using your keyboard more when you have a TextBlade.

Let me unpack that a bit. With a TextBlade, not only do you have one keyboard for all your devices (or at least six of them), but you also have a keyboard that gives you easy access to a boatload of functions that legacy keyboards, by necessity, cram off to the sides.
I never used to know that “backspace word”, “forward delete word”, “arrow key select”, “select by line/paragraph/page”, Etc. were functions you could even USE on a keyboard. TextBlade puts them right at my fingertips, literally, and they’re so handy (literally again) that I started using them all the time instead of using the mouse or whatever.
Even when I’m NOT typing on a TextBlade, for whatever reason, I’ve started memorizing those commands and functions, because they’re so neat and handy EVEN when trying to do them on a legacy keyboard where instead of being easy access they’re a mess of contortions and hand gymnastics.

So, TextBlade having those multiple layers and functions all right there, it makes it so much easier to be a power user, or at least closer to one. It’s like suddenly having some expertise in the command prompt/terminal/shell environment for whatever system you’re using. You don’t “NEED” it, that’s what a GUI’s for, but having just a little bit of skill opens up so many possibilities that you’ll wonder how you ever got anything done without it.

So, I don’t know how long a general release TextBlade will last under “normal usage”. I suspect far longer than a general release TextBlade will last for me–fortunately, you don’t have to worry about that unless you get a sudden itch to be a writer and churn out a novel in a month. And hey, if you do? More power to you.

2 Likes

I’m in the gold card lounge at the airport. Everyone around me seems to be businessmen wearing suits; I’m in my work coveralls. I was already feeling self-conscious before I spend 2 minutes laughing like an idiot in this very quiet place.

3 Likes

On the one hand, I’m sorry to make you feel awkward and out of place even more so. On the other hand, a bit of laughter is a good thing, and not just for you–If anybody asks why you’re laughing, feel free to tell them. Glad I could bring a laugh to folks!

Meh, I’m fine with it. I fly 3 or 4 times a month for trouble tickets, but while I’m waiting I tend to pull out my laptop and Textblade and work away on my software development. I actually quite enjoy counting the people who give me the stink-eye because they were previously feeling very important about travelling for work and using the lounge, only to have someone in work coveralls shatter their illusion of importance!

1 Like

Or maybe they’re jealous when they see your setup!

2 Likes

Well, I just happened to have hit 5% on my TB so I ran the power test which shows battery info.

Charged 4 days ago - which means nothing since it really only matters how long it has been actually on!

Typed 54,115 characters
Has been on for just over 30 hours.

What matters a bit more, at least to me since I’ve run tests many times in the past, is that this is on a TB that is at least two years old. Might be three - I’ve lost track and time is a bit harder to keep track of when you are older. I remember getting my newest unit around this time of year though (maybe as early as September). Just not sure the exact year.

I went back to my oldest TextBlade - not sure how old that is though. Probably 3 years give or take (Treg started 3 years and almost 9 months ago). Of course, I have no idea at all how much I actually used it. Certainly close to zero for the past two years at least.

It just hit the 20% mark at 22 hr 10 minutes. That’s 1330 minutes. If it is consistent until the end, I’d get another 332 minutes, but it has never been consistent. I’ve sometimes gotten more than that for the final 10%. Also less. Still, that’s more than enough battery life to get you through the most hectic day and have plenty left over.

Dropping to 10% took another 2 hours 8 minutes (24 hr 18 min total).

Final time was between 29-30 hours