Another mobile input/keyboard device: TapWithUs

Just heard about this. Details are light on the site, but looks like a bluetooth chording keyboard that slips over your fingers. They emphasize that it does not require a stable surface on which to type:

http://www.tapwithus.com

Difficulty may be to decide where to focus effort on learning new techniques, since each of these devices will have a learning curve.

2 Likes

I scanned the website, but I don’t get how it works to get 26 letters, 10 numbers, and various symbols - assuming it does do all that.

Explanations on the site seem very poor.

There is a little more information in this article from yesterday, but still not much:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-05-12/powermat-founder-sets-sights-on-turning-hands-into-keyboards

“It translates 31 finger taps into letters and numbers, which are transmitted by Bluetooth to mobile devices”

-jeff

That helps some, but I don’t buy into the “one hour to adjust”. I would never say I “adjusted” to the TB in an hour even though I could certainly type with it. I think you have to be pretty close to your normal speed to say you truly adjusted. But then, what are they comparing it to? Most people don’t type very fast on phones and tablets so if that is the comparison, the catchup time will be less than on a computer with a normal keyboard for touch typists anyway.

31 keys must have some combos reserved for changing things. Like maybe one to switch to numbers and another for symbols.

I note the claim of 99% accuracy, but if the device itself is making errors 1 time out of 100, that’s significant when added to the user’s own errors.

But I can see how it would be good for some special cases.

I like the idea that it is somewhat wearable and does not require a flat surface, but am also sceptical of the training time and whether it could effectively be used for things like programming. I’m willing to (hopefully, if it ever arrives) do the learning curve for the TextBlade since it can hopefully become my single input mechanism across devices, for everything I use a normal keyboard for now.

I’d imagine it would have a learning curve at least as long as the Twiddler since it is almost certainly chorded, but we’ll see.

1 Like

I share the same intensions, obviously, once the device arrives. Let’s see just how long it will take to get it. I’m hoping June is feasible, but at the rate things are going, it may be some time in summer.

The problem of having to wear the device is it would interfere with other devices that you need to handle. How would it work if you need to be on the corded office phone without a headset and type at the same time?

The forum let’s you post links, not just code blocks!

Interesting video/story from Bloomberg:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-05-12/powermat-founder-sets-sights-on-turning-hands-into-keyboards

This looks like more of a competitor to the http://twiddler.tekgear.com/ (though it doesn’t [yet] incorporate a mouse) than to the TextBlade. One-handed fully chordic input requires a lot of training and won’t approach reasonable typing speed, IMO. The main question is whether the eyes-free tap-anywhere convenience is worth the effort. Consumers seem to prefer ease of learning to input efficiency.

Yep, I had the V1 of the twiddler, never got to grips with it at all (metaphorically, physically however it holds well in the hand :slight_smile: )

“Stop trying to make chorded keyboards happen. They’re not going to happen.”

Need to be a little careful there, the TB has some chorded functions (e.g. to access command, alt and control modifiers, to access the edit / select / media modes) But for general input of characters I personally can’t handle them at all

Yeah, it was meant mostly as a reference to Mean Girls, mainly in regards to basic text entry. I’ve been using the Karabiner script for a while now and that’s actually a legitimately good use of chording. Chording to type “j,” on the other hand, is not something that will ever catch on with the non-cargo-pants crowd.

Is it just me or does that Tap device really spread out your firngers? That seems like a recipie for carpal tunnel or at least being weirdly uncomfortable?

TO me it seems like something that won’t work for me. Things that have sizes and are tech tend not to.

Five fingers produce 31 combinations, which certainly isn’t enough for 26 lowercase plus basic punctuation. So, there is not just chording but sequencing, to get all the extra keys you need. For example, the shift key would need to be chorded, then the letter would need to be chorded (I think). I think it will be a lot slower.

1 Like

I wonder if they will come out with a brass knuckle edition for the discerning thug. :joy:

4 Likes

Yes I can imagine the conversation

Punch punch
“OMG THE PAIN IT HURTS SO MUCH”
"God could you stop squirming for a second I need to instagram this and tag it… This punk tried to sneak into the club just teaching him a lesson… ok great now where were we oh yeah more punching
punch punch
“AAAUUUGHH”
"God you’re so whiny. Hmm wait a sec let me submit a bug report. “Holds up well to cranial pumelling, noticing some missed keys due to blood causing some shorting a across leads, maybe some water proofing would be nice” ok there we go. Oh btw thanks for helping me test this out. You should really get one. After I punch your back teeth out though.
punch punch

1 Like

It’s basically both. To get A-Z you use chording. To shift context to numerical punctuation you tap the furthest 3 fingers.

You can walk through the basic tutorial of how it works through their new video series here.

Looking at this I have no idea how you’d supposedly get used to it after just an hour. I mean it looks interesting but maybe I’m just old but that’s a lot of muscle memory to forget.

This has got to be the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. Why do they even bother to use 5 fingers? My suggestion? Just use one - the middle finger.

S

1 Like

I’m waiting for someone to invent a “revolutionary” one-fingered typing system where you select letters via a combination of short or long taps.

2 Likes