Another mobile BT keyboard actually coming in September from LG

1 Like

Certainly looks an interesting concept and as a mobile keyboard it could work very well.
Not really one that you could fit in your pocket, but certainly looks like it would fit in your travel luggage easier than the logitech (K810) that I am currently typing this on.
September release is only for the US, so maybe Europe will get the Waytools before LG release world-wide…? (You’ve got to hope, right?)

Think it would be one to try out once it’s in the shops but still holding out for the full flexibility and change of paradigm that @waytools are shooting for.

I would be interested on the keyfeel on that keyboard, but the travel does look pretty good.

I like it. The article states that it can be “rolled into what looks like a long stick (or thin burrito).” Evidently the author has never seen a cigar.

I’ll buy one while waiting for my Christmas TextBlade.

They keys on the LG look a lot like the keys on my Jorno, which might not be a good thing. The keys are very short and fairly small, but well spaced. I imagine that the Rolly (like my Jorno) would be much better for my floaty-hands, psudo-hunt-and-peck style girlfriend than for my standard touch-typing.

Very clever design that approaches the problem of portable typing from yet another new angle, but I’ll hold out for the Textblade.

Are they accepting money now for release in a month to gauge interest and commitment? I’m not sure i trust LG with my money before a product is actually released.

They haven’t even announced a price. Availability is supposed to be next month; we’ll find out then what they think it’s worth.

why buy the setup shown when you can buy a macbook 12" or any laptop

Engagdet says it will list at $119, predicting street prices will be lower.

And their hands-on evaluation says the layout feels cramped. Apparently key spacing matters.

Gee, where have we heard that before?

Well, this is disappointing.

Let’s see -

Cramped finger spacing vs. laptops, but farther and even harder to reach each row (those pesky hinges). Hmmm.

Not one hinge, but 4, (each with a lot of wires to bend and break)

A weighty, one inch thick, foot-long 'baton" to carry (which pocket exactly does that go in?).

And not rechargeable. Nowadays? More landfill and more consumable costs?

Usually progress goes forward, not in reverse.

But a $150 Billion conglomerate says it’s good, so, it must be good.

Thank you LG.

Life’s Good.

3 Likes

Well rechargeables battery exist, and you can recycle them when the die. Your design is more impressive and probably more ergonomic. If I were you @waytools I wouldn’t throw stones until I shipped. If you had some savvy you would do an advert like apple did welcoming IBM to the pc iirc.
Dissing potential competitors before either of you ships is unseemly. Even though you (will soon) have a more impressive/superior product it makes you sound defensive.

1 Like

Ha-ha. “Is that a Rolly keyboard in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?”

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Seriously, I guess that’s why they’re only showing/promoting its use with phablets & tablets, not phones.

1 Like

Dishing the competition is tacky. Your product should speak for itself, once it is born.

Spend your time telling your customers what you are doing and giving precise and correct information for those perhaps gullible people who believed your message oh so many months ago, 8 months according to my calculations. Spend your time better getting your product out the door.

The Textblade might be the next best thing to sliced bread but at least sliced bread can be toasted. Now. This morning for breakfast. With my newspaper. The Textblade, not yet.

I found your comment on the LG device annoying and out of place. Not humble, and pushing the limits. Easy to complain that they are a huge corporation bla bla bla nobody likes big corporations bla bla bla. But inside that big corporation bla bla bla there are engineers and developers who are also doing their best to do a good job.

Just deliver. Thank you.

7 Likes

What gets me is we are all calling for WT to communicate with us about how things are going and we get a silent wall; start talking about the options and competition and we see a post. shame it did not give us an update on WT progress!!

Firmware freeze as of today???

What is the status of the text blade please so the product can do the talking.

1 Like

Et Voila! jonvlajean - an existence-proof of why we must minimize posting.

Sorry for the visceral, 2am opinion about design after a long slog of a day.

You’ve made some cool posts, (and also some fiction worthy of Victor Hugo), though riding that high horse is less Jean Valjean (a hero of ours), and more Javert.

BTW - Ubi, Mae West’s line was in our heads when we wrote this post, but even in our stupor, restraint prevailed. Awesome that you said what we shouldn’t. It brought us smiles.

And many hearty thanks for the amazing series of graphic compositions. Even as we are humbled by them, they also lift our spirits and remind us why it’s worth the hard work.

You sir, are an artist, and we’re saving those.

Got lots of good stuff settled, and will post about progress after this weekend’s testing.

Ok, that’s all folks, back to the cave now.

1 Like

Et Voilà ! Yourselves !

Glad to see that I annoyed you, now we are even.

Well not quite. You have my confidence, I don’t have your Textblade.

JVJ was a good man. And even Javert, in his despair, saw what was good, how he had erred and did what he thought was the right thing to do, at the end of course. For Hugo, all people are redeemable. If you visit the Hugo museum in Villequier you will see a wall-sized plaque detailing the major events of his life. Many tragic, most perhaps. The last line is his phrase: “La vie est dure et funebre, en fin.”

Make us happy, next week perhaps ?

Maison Victor Hugo, Villequier

JVJ - In Paris, ironically a few blocks from Place de Victor Hugo, you’ll find the Musee des Arts et Metiers (wonderful). It has, remarkably, a superb collection on the history of the keyboard (inspiring). Secretly hoping that we collectively do this well enough to perhaps be worthy of a spot there.

So now, it’s back to the code.

Didn’t even remember that the original (gun/pistol) quote was from

Here’s the backstory.

[quote=“waytools, post:16, topic:891”]
Et Voila! jonvlajean - an existence-proof of why we must minimize posting.

Sorry for the visceral, 2am opinion about design after a long slog of a day.

You’ve made some cool posts, (and also some fiction worthy of Victor Hugo), though riding that high horse is less Jean Valjean (a hero of ours), and more Javert.

BTW - Ubi, Mae West’s line was in our heads when we wrote this post, but even in our stupor, restraint prevailed. Awesome that you said what we shouldn’t. It brought us smiles.

And many hearty thanks for the amazing series of graphic compositions. Even as we are humbled by them, they also lift our spirits and remind us why it’s worth the hard work.

You sir, are an artist, and we’re saving those.

Got lots of good stuff settled, and will post about progress after this weekend’s testing.
[/quote]Instead of trying to make forum friends, WT, how about spending that time communicating briefly each week about specific activity you’re taking to solve specific problems that are delaying the product you demoed in January.

I also recommend working to narrow down when you expect to deliver it to the earliest adopters.

If you’re not delivering in September, it’s time to start talking about that now. If you wait (again) until the end of the month to push estimates out another month, you’ll alienate more early adopters and invite another wave of negative commentary.

The customers have been controlling the messaging, and it isn’t for the better. I warned about this in March.

OK so a lot more posting but still no straight answer to the question, FIRMWARE FREEZE?

As Soloact stated all we want is a regular update as to progress, even if it is your bullet point list with complete or not, even better a percentage [though the 80/20% rule will apply].

If you leave it to the end of the month to declare another delay how can you believe you will have any credibility left?

I work for one of the worlds largest engineering companies and as part of R&D / product development do this day in day out; hence I understand your problems. You will have a programme you are working to and you do know now if you will hit a September delivery, so declare your position please.

We understand the issues round the integration on soft, hard and firmware and the integration issues involved: there may even be people here who can assist you with those problems and would even do so for little or no fee to see this product launched. As believe it or not the majority of us just want to use this ground breaking Textblade that we believe in: we must as we are still here waiting :slight_smile:

2 Likes