Am I the only one who usually types the C with the index finger?

Typing a C is usually done with the index finger, not the middle, right?

On the right hand, the index finger is responsible for the J and H on the home row, and the M and N on the bottom row. The left index is responsible for the F and G on the home row, and the C, V, and B on the bottom row (thought it could be argued that the B could be handled equally by either index finger as it is positioned equidistant from either).

I’m curious as to how easy it will be to switch to typing the C with the middle finger of the left hand. I haven’t studied the layout further, so I do not know if there are to be other key fingering changes to get used to with this keyboard. I wish there was a way to allow the C to be triggered by typing on the far left-bottom corner of the F key, similar to how I (and most others?) use a standard keyboard.

Can anyone who has used the TextBlade speak to how easy/difficult it is to switch to typing all Cs with the middle left finger?

Check this out.

Like you can see on this Wikimedia upload the C isn’t typed with the index.

I also use the middle finger for the C.

Ah, so I’m the odd one out. Thanks for the update @charmaex Okay, not surprising since I didn’t really pay attention in “typing” class, and only later taught myself. It just seemed that since the right index touches the letters to the lower right and left, that it would be the same for the left index…but apparently not.

At least I don’t have to learn an entirely new layout. Qwerty is good enough for me! :smiley:

You are not alone! I also taught myself to touch type when I was in my mid teens, and have just stumbled across this thread and am now mildly heartbroken! The TextBlade is exactly what I’ve been looking for, but now I’m going to have to relearn the bottom left keys in order to use it properly!

Time to go practise, I think!

Yup! I’ve since spent some time googling, and it’s apparently quite common for people to type the C with their index finger. I hope there is an option in the future to change the TextBlade to allow for that way of typing.

The TextBlade is exactly what I’ve been looking for, but now I’m going to have to relearn the bottom left keys in order to use it properly!

Time to go practise, I think!

We’ve found that TextBlade gently guides people toward using the correct fingers (for standard QWERTY).

If you have a slightly different style, and in the beginning, you shift your finger to get the C – this will work too. You’re gently reminded each time you do, that you’re crossing a key boundary. (This boundary crossing happens now, on a legacy keyboard, for every key).

One key, per finger makes proper QWERTY form very natural – even for non-traditional typists.

1 Like

I am right-handed and learned the Dvorak layout years ago, hunting and pecking my way to touch-typing. Back then I rewarded myself with a small (at the time) TypeMatrix keyboard, having a vertical alignment of keys. I loved that thing, but since then have adopted Apple’s present compact wireless keyboard (sans numeric keypad–I’m no accountant). Excuse me for being somewhat off topic here, but I’m just itching to acquaint myself with the TextBlade. Dvorak reduces reaching; the C is up from the right middle finger home.

Add me to the list of those concerned about the use of the index finger for the C key. I learned touch typing from a book many years ago and it specifically allowed either the index, or the middle finger, for the C key depending on how comfortable one felt when typing.

Accordingly, I have been using the index key for decades and I doubt that I will be able to retrain myself. The use of the middle finger for C for me feels very awkard and unnatural. I use it for the X key…

What problems am I going to run into? Is there any workaround? Will any of the proposed remapping utilities for the Textblade come to my aid here?

Study photographs of the TextBlade; reduced extension and flexion of fingers, especially for the C key can be easier. I can tell you that whether you stick to QWERTY or practice DVORAK, retraining will take place anyway due to less finger reach. Never underestimate your ability to learn!

Yeah… this thread convinced me to learn Colemak. I didn’t realize I typed “c” incorrectly with my index finger until I read this title. I figure since I’ll have to go through a readjustment anyway, may as well take the time to learn a better layout.